Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:54 PM   #1
Default steve, software ?

Looking at Adobe Photo Elements 2, Ulead Photo Impact 8 and ComuPic Pro. Which will be easiest for beginner to use? Maybe some other ?
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:07 PM   #2

1. Irfanview (and all the plugins). It's free too.

2. ACDSee version 3.0 (not free, and you need discover how to operate what it calls Photo Enhancer) - but once you have the hang of it, it's easy [i]and</a> convenient.

3. Adobe Photoshop L.E. (if you can get it). Several programs will rotate pictures 90 degrees and 180 degrees. Some will rotate them the exact number of degrees you need: but if you're doing a rotation different from the standard 90 degree or 180 degrees, Photoshop L.E. is the only one I've found that doesn't degrade the picture. Also it's the only program that I use for correcting red-eye.

4. (For quick and easy compression of files to the number of kb you want)- JPEG Optimizer from Xat.com. The others will do it, but it's a hassle.

I use all four programs. Irfanview and ACDSee are similar in some ways. I'd find it hard to choose between them, though I do use ACDSee most: but for some things one is easier and for other things the other wins. They do all the commonest, straightforward manipulations that I need. If I need to do things that Irfanview and ACDSee can't do, then I use Photoshop L.E.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:25 AM   #3

No editing program with a good set of abilities will be easy to learn, and almost any program is easy once you figure out how to use it.

I suggest that you use what you have (came with camera, printer, scanner, ...) until you find something you want to do that it cannot handle. Then you will have a much better idea of what you want.

Also download a couple of freeware programs - IrfanView should be high on that list. You might want to ask in the forumn for your camera about an EXIF viewer that extracts all of the data - it seems that the generic ones miss at least a few things.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote