Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:49 PM   #1

I have an Olympus C 770. One of the shooting modes is the "sports mode". I heard someone say that the sport mode is only good for outdoor sports and that it is no good for indoor sports like basketball. Does anyone know if this is true?
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:43 AM   #2

I belive this would be untrue.

as sports mode uses the fastest shutter speed as possible to capture the image your want crisply and sharply.

I have used sports mode on both digital and 35mm and never had issues with capturing pics inside.

Now wether your camera is different i can not say but I thought I would give my 2 pennies worth

bleep_ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:38 PM   #3

"Sports Mode" usually results in the camera making adjustments to keep a fast shutter speed.

It probably does a good job outdoors.

Indoors is another story because usually there isn't much light.

If you can learn to use the features of your camera, you'd probably want to do the following for best indoor sports pictures:

1) Set the ISO (sensitivity) on your camera as high as possible (ISO1600 or ISO3200) to reflect the fact you'll be in a low light situation.

2) Set your camera on shutter speed priority, preferably 1/250th or 1/500th of a second shutter speed.

3) Let the camera select the aperture.

You'll need to learn your camera's controls if you want to shoot indoor sports, because the low light situation usually pushes your camera to the max to get a decent photo.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote