Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2003, 7:58 PM   #1
Default For Rugged Outdoor Use - Which One?

Restating the question - I am hunting for a few ruggid digital cameras that I can give to the boys in my Boy Scout Troop so they can record their activities. I'd like to see 3x or better optical zoom and at least 2 mega pix. However, kids 12 to 18 years of age will be using these, outside, in the elements, and without mom or dad looking over their shoulders... so I think I need to lean towards the cameras being ruggid. As always, any tips or suggestions from you and the readers will be greatly appreciated. Mike
Sambuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2003, 5:27 AM   #2

Most cameras in the 2Mp, x3 optical zoom price range, ie Canon, Olympus, Sony...etc can be bought with a rugged marine case that can survive great underwater pressure (or alternatively kid banging/harsh environment)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 9:00 AM   #3

I started taking pics of scouting events using an Olympus Stylus 35mm with no zoom many years ago. As a scoutmaster, I have entrusted it to scouts for pictures and it has held up to a multitude of beatings. I'd think hard about entrusting my C2100 to a few of the scouts in our troop now, but the clamshell design of the Olympus Stylus style cameras will go far to protect the lens from dirt and moisture.

Try the D-490, D-510, D-520, or D-550, whichever one fits your pocketbook the best. The 490 uses serial to transfer, and the rest use USB. Personally, I'd just get a card reader for any camera. The first three are 2MP and the last is 3MP. All of the cameras in this paragraph have 3x optical zoom, are easy to operate, and take excellent pictures. If you're looking at just posting pics on the web or for snapshots for your Historian's scrapbook, you might find that a used D-460 (serial) 1.3MP will suit your needs just fine.

P.S. If you're interested in our troop's website, feel free to check out Troop 115.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote