Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:35 AM   #1

hey all,OK next┬*month I have to do a Food photo shoot, great new challenge. I have never done food photography before, thus I am looking for advice, tips, tutorials and resources in general.Any help will be┬*gratefully┬*received.ThanksGrant
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:08 PM   #2

I'm going to be on the road for the next few weeks so won't be able to help much.

To start things off, is this foradvertising, commercial use,or a personal or contest type thing.

Food shots for advertising have some rather stringent rules on what can be done to get the shots, and this probably varies by country. The truth in advertising laws can be a creative killer :-)

Food shots for other use are a bit more wide open, and there are a lot of tricks and stand-ins used to gettheright look.

Some fer instances.
Meat like roasts looks better if cut while still partially raw and has the outside browned with a brazing torch.
Ice cubes stand in are made of acrylic and cost a packet each.
Ice cream stand in is smashed potoatoes.
That nice glistening look is had by spraying things with a 50/50 mix of glycerin/water.(This is poisonous)
Food that needs to be precisely positioned can be stuck down with a hot glue gun :-).

There is a reason studios that do food shots have kitchen facilities on site, the hot food starts to loose life & luster very quickly after being plated.
Generally by the time a food stylist and photographer are done thefood is not edible any longer.

Some links

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote