Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

Actually, I've been meaning to let you guys know how much I like the site. I've been in the market for an entry level DSLR (I'm waiting to get my hands on a KM 5D before I decide because I already have Minolta lenses) and I've been reading anything I can get my hands on. When I saw some recent criticism of the site I knew I needed to come to your defense. I've posted several questions and I've never had any problems. The input is excellent and well rounded (although, you can always tell who the Canonites are...what's with that!?!:?)

I've never "been into"forums I and I don't Blog so this whole thing is new to me. I have to say this is by far the best laid out sight. From the different topics to post within, to the sections for different cameras...it's really well thought out. I'm sure I'll be a regular from here on out and I basically stopped checking the other sites for info because I eventually end up back here anyway.

Keep up the great work!!And Please pass on any info about the KM 5D when it hits the stores.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:38 PM   #2

Thanks. I'm sure that Steve (and Mark, our site administrator) will apprecite the post.

I'm waiting to get my hands on a 5D, too. There are pros and cons compared to the 7D. I'd prefer to have the better viewfinder and larger buffer size of the 7D (along with some of it's features like a sync port), with the physical size and weight of the 5D. But, it looks like I'll have to decide what's more important.

A larger camera would be better for some things (and would balance better with heavier lenses). But, the idea of a small DSLR with a light and fast prime for easy carry is appealing, too (especially with the added benefit of Antishake).

It looks like it's going to be a pretty small camera. So, I want to get my hands on one (literally) to see how good the grip and ergonomics are.

The image quality looks like it's going to be comparable to the 7D (I've spent some time looking at photos taken in the same conditions, with the same lenses with both cameras). A KM owner in Thailand borrowed a 5D from Konica-Minolta not long ago and did some comparison photos sith the 7D I looked through. Of course, it's shipping now in Hong Kong and Europe (it should it the U.S. stores soon, too).

Up until a couple of months ago, my lenses were mostly Nikkor (not counting a Sigma with a Nikon mount). But, I've pretty much decided to get a KM DSLR now (even though I had no Minolta 35mm gear). So, I've started buying some Minolta AF mount lenses (Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, 35-105mm f/2.8, so far), even though I don't own a KM DSLR yet. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote