Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:27 AM   #1

Is there anyone out there who does portrait photography? Would be interested in finding out how you go about getting into that area of photography. People seem to be my favorite subject, I just have no clue what portrait photography really entails.

Thanks, Jules.
lil_pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:13 PM   #2

You are asking a so simple question but tough to answer because I don't know where to start not knowing your photography skill.

Here are what be dealing with:

1/ A 35mm SLR or DSLR camera with a fast lens to blur the background.

2/ Find a good photo lab to do the enlargement where you have a good relationship with the lab technician so he or she could understand what color skin tone you like .

3/ Have experience shooting against the sun (backlit portrait). Know how to set your flash to compensate for a bright background, use a reflector if possible.

4/Shoot with two cameras side by side if you can afford a second one.

5/Be comfortable to use a lot of soft focus to add a romantic mood or to soften the model skin.

6/ Learn the hard way by taking kids portraits, they are constantly moving, later you feel easier to work with adults.

7/ The hardest part is posing, learn to pose the model non stop for at least half an hour if you can do this, in real life session you'll have a break of silent moment when you don't know what to say or running out of posing ideas. My partner who passed away last year he was very good at posing, he can pose the model for straight two hours, that's why when I shoot with him, I let him do the posing. Remember in portrait photography, try to keep the model's hands busy, haveher holding something, a pair of sunglasses, touching the necklace, fixing her hair...you want to avoid a DMV style pictures.

It's a challenge to do portraits but better than to do those same boring snapshots.

Lastly, the photographs you create will aim at one of these three audiences, for the general public, or for an educated, or for the sophisticated, it's your choice.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3

Hey Jules,
Try all the links forund in this studio lighting thread:

That should get you started. Also visit the People Pictures Forum farther down in our forum list.
Good luck & have fun!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys. I have owned a D70 with just the kit lense for about six months now. Still playing with the camera and figuring things out. Again, thanks for the input.

lil_pixie is offline   Reply With Quote