Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

I just noticed something about my photos that kind of blew me away...they're not as out of focus as I thought they were, ya!! At least that's what I think. You tell me if I'm right.

Here's what happened. Since getting my Canon 20D I have been somewhat disappointed with the sharpness of my photos. I've been doing mostly sports photography with a telephoto zoom (100-300mm Sigma EX) and the shots just didn't look as crisp as I hoped, having just spent about $2500. Then, somewhat by chance I opened a photo using Internet Explorer instead of Microsoft's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which is my computer's default image viewer. What a difference! The pictures were much sharper when viewed with IE all across the board. Realizing I had other options to open and view the files (I'm not too computer savvy) I played with a couple more including IrfanView, which I unknowingly had on my computer already. Same thing, much sharper than the Windows viewer.

So my first question is, what's up with that? Why do the picsappear somewhatout of focus when viewed by Windows Viewer and in focus when viewed by other applications?

Secondly, please tell me the part I want to hear most....that the other applications are showing me the "real picture", and that my shots are indeed better focused than I had been thinking. (Not that you've seen them, but you know what I mean.)

Finally, what software do yourecommend to simply open files and view your pics?

Rob Keaton
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:12 PM   #2

I guess the only way to really tell is with prints.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:02 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with that particular problem, but it sounds like something is wrong with your Windows viewer. There is nothing that IE or Irfanview can do to make a blurry picture clear.

I have lots of high end imaging programs and Irfanview is my default viewer. Open Irfanview and go Options>Set File Associations and select Images Only. They will default to Irfanview.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:47 AM   #4

An absolute brilliant program is Picasa by Google, completely free and does a lot more than organise your pics. You can actually add a whole host of effects without modifying the original photos, including sharpness and red eye removal, great stuff

forrrge is offline   Reply With Quote