Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:17 PM   #1
Default Laser Vs Inkjet Printers

I have just purchased a Minolta 2200 color laser printer.

Will the photos I print on the color laser from my Minolta 7Hi be better quality than from a high quality ink jet?

Can I use inkjet photo paper in a laser printer?

jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2003, 3:19 PM   #2

Lasers usually use 3 colour toner packs, whereas new photo inkjets can take 6 colours which gives a wider range of more faithful colours. However, lasers are faster, more permanent colour, whereas you need special inks for long life in inkjets and they are slower.

Lasers use their own paper, usually copier grade, selected for the high temperture fusing process. I wouldn't use inkjet paper, particularly the glossy coated type, it's liable to put deposits all over your photo-sensitive drum and you'd be into an expensive cartridge replacement. Same goes for transparency film for OHP. NEVER USE NORMAL FILM - it might burst into flames on the way through!

I've only seen photos from the HP colour lasers and I found them a bit vivid in colour and unreal - but OK for pc graphics. I tried to find a glossy paper, but found there were fewer photo paper options than for inkjets.

The best prints I've had have been real photo halide from digi pics. But I'd like to try dye sublimation, although media and ribbon costs are higher than ink or laser.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 8:09 PM   #3

As a general rule color lasers tend to be better for quantity, speed, and "business" graphics like charts and graphs.

They have improved greatly over the last 5 years but most would be hard pressed to match a $250 photo ink jet for quality of photo output. On the other hand even the "fast" ink jets are not really speedy.

As Vox mentioned the other choice is dye sub, which can offer the speed of a laser with the photo quality of an inkjet.

Many times the people who need photo quality and speed are event photographers, who may have paying customers waiting for their photos to come out.

One example of this kind of printer is that Kodak 8500 (we just added print template support for it's special 8.5x12 paper), which can output beautiful 8x10 photos in about a minute.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote