Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:17 PM   #1

I have an approximately 35-40MP, depending on how I crop, panorama with about a 160 degree viewing angle. It is ruffly 19000x2000 pixels in size. At 300 PPI and printed at 300 DPI this would require that the print be 6.7" x 63", which is 5.25 feet long!!!

I am aware that winkflash.comUSED TO allow you to print a up to 44"x66" but a recent check at there website reveals that they are know only advertising print sizes up to 18x24.

Andorma.com only "pano" size is 4x12", which is a ratio of 3:1. I need printing options with approximately 10:1 or any size that will go up to 63" so that I can cut away the white space.

I do not want to buy another printer (mine is 8.5x11 at it's largest which would yeild a 1" x 11" print with this pano in question). So if anyone knows of an online printing company that would be able to do what I want then please help me. To view the picture in question go here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

Thanks in advance for your help. I'd also like the cost of such a print to be below $100
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:11 PM   #2

63 inches long for under $100, huh?

Well... that may be a bit optimistic.

Give these guys a yell and see if they may have a product available (you'd have to trim away the space not printed on).

I know they won't do prints with that kind of aspect ratio. But, you may be able to talk them down on the prices for the sizes they do offer:

They've got some pretty inexpensive "internet only" prices here (but it looks like the sizes stop at 30x60 inches for these (with a note that new software and sizes are coming soon). I don't know if the order entry screen will show you larger sizes than this ornot.

I haven't personally used them.

But, I know someone that was very pleased with a 20x30" print they had made from an image that was less than 3 Megapixels after cropping (and they didn't even interpolate it, as the printer suggested letting them use their RIP instead for best results).

They only spent about $20 (including the shipping) for it via the special these guys were running at the time, which wasa year or so ago.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:50 PM   #3

You might be able to use your printer with roll paper. It depends if your print sofware supports a very long custom paper size. A company called Exim-Vaios sells some very good paper in 8 inch rolls that will fit a typical 8.5 x 11 printer. They also sell primitive, but effective, roll adaptors. You could make your own roll adaptor with a piece of pipe and some plywood if you want.

I have a 10 inch wide roll and the adaptor from them, and both work well with my printer. Make sure your ink tanks are full before you print full size!
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:15 AM   #4

nelmr wrote:
I need printing options with approximately 10:1 or any size that will go up to 63" so that I can cut away the white space.
Don't do that!! You can stick another image on the white space.

Using my image editor (PSP7) I put three 30"x6" panoramas one above the other and used the French/UK's Wanadoo Photobox cheap photoprinting service to do me a 30"x20" print with all three on, for me to cut up.

I did three copies of the same image of the Edinburgh skyline - one for me, one for my daughter (studentin Edinburgh), and one for the in-laws. In future I'll put three different images on the same sheet, as I have lots of nice panoramas generated quickly & easily with 'Photostitch' from Columbia University.

I admit that it's only 5:1 and not 10:1, but you could always get a left half and a right half printed, and mount them side by side. Before the advent of this service, I used to produce mosaics of A4 inkjet prints, which impressed people a lot. One of these hangs over my fireplace, and nobody has yet admitted to seeing the joins until I tell them they're there. So you could do huge prints by mounting 30x20s alongside each other.

Before I had a digicam I did a 36"x10" (9500x2500) print from filmscanned negatives on 6 side-by-side portrait A4 sheets. During our village millennium celebrationsI did an extra set of prints and a local farmer's wife & keen photographer mounted them (or paid someone a lot to do it) and framed them, and the result...

...hung over the fireplace of one of our local pubs for a couple of months, to some acclaim. No-one noticed the joins.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:26 AM   #5

There is a site: www.panoramaprint.nl that does what you want, any size up to 60" by 100 ft!

Please note it is a Dutch site, send an e-mail to info@panoramaprint.nl if you can't figure out how it works.
Boudewijn is offline   Reply With Quote