Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:42 PM   #1

My friend sent me the link to Ken Rockwell's website and how-to section (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm)

I must say that I really enjoyed it and it was reassuring as a consumer. I am currently looking for a new camera (just sold my Fuji E550), and was caught up in the megapixel hype. Rockwell makes several arguments against getting caught up in this and instead focuses on the quality of the sensor.

Has anyone else seen this website. What do people who really know about this stuff think?
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:13 PM   #2

Mike Johnston, Norman Koren, Ken Rockwell are independent say what they mean well known authorities that share some of what they know. Read the stuff by Johnston here if you can find it, or Luminous Landscape and I think DP-Review. It'll all start sinking in in time and you'll improve and know why. Read Rockwells 7 levels of Photographer's, etc.
:-) take care
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

Tazzie wrote:
Read the stuff by Johnston here if you can find it,
You'll find Mike Johnston's Sunday Morning Photographer articles to be very good. Unfortunately, it looks like he's written the last one.

As for Ken.... Well, I just don't know how photographers managed to take photos using a camera without a 1/500 second flash sync for all of these years. :-)

Although it looks like he may actually own a Nikon D70 (unlike many cameras he "reviews" without using).

Some of his stuff is pretty entertaining, though.

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:22 AM   #4

I've read a variety of opinons about Ken.
Some dislike him because he "reviews" things he doesn't actually have. That he likes to talk about things he doesn't actually know.

Others value his opinion and his skill with the camera.

No one can say that his writing isn't entertaining.

I used to go there more often, but found I don't really any more. More a change in me than a mark against him.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:27 PM   #5

I find that Rockwell must be taken with a grain of salt. He despises engineers for their (my) infatuation with the technical marvel that is the medium he adores so much. If you read his articles, you will find a lot of helpful information, but don't be afraid to like using manual settings, or to liketinkering with your camera's settings. Understanding how your tool (camera) works will, undoubtedly, allow you to improve your craft (or art, if you will).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-Blake
GWHayduke is offline   Reply With Quote