Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I've often visited this site, for all it's great info, but this is my posting. I'm a serious amateur photographer, with thoughts of turning semi professional. I'm currently working on a coffee table photography book project. My 35mm Canon Elan IIe recently broke. I'm viewing this breakage as an opportunity to step into the digital realm, but I can't afford the mid, or high endpro digital SLR cameras at $1,600.00and higher. The Rebel XT is always being described as a camera for all levels of photographers, from amateur to pro. For just getting started in the digital arena, doing professional level work, but not yet a professional, do you think the Rebel XT is a digital camera that would giveprofessional results which I would be happy with, and can grow with, until such time that Ifeel the need to step up to a high end professional level digital camera?

Also, as I understand it, the Rebel XT has a feature, when shooting in the B/W mode, which simulates various filters, i.e., yellow, red, green and orange. I shoot primarily 35mm b/w and often use a red or yellow filter, depending on what subject matter I'm shooting and what effect I hope to capture. Does the Rebel XT's filter effect feature make the need for actual lens filters obsolete? Should I use actual filters with the Rebel XT, or not?

Any insight would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
The Damn Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2

I cant say much for the filter options on the XT as dont own one, but if you are shooting digital photos, especially RAW files you can do anything you want to them in photoshop later on, such as simulating various filters. No need to limit yourself by having the original messed up in the camera
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3

Sounds like you should read up some more on the nature of digital photography. Digital is like having an entire darkroom inside your camera (with exception of enlarger ). Between the in-camera controls and post-production computer work (Photoshop or a RAW developer) you can do everything--and more--that you would have earlier done in a lab. When shooting RAW you can even change the white balance (color temperature of the available light) after you shoot, so it's like the ability to try out different filters afterwards. Amazing stuff, really. As has already been mentioned, it's a waste to shoot b/w in camera, since you can convert that afterwards as well. (You can always convert color to b/w after the fact, but you can't convert b/w to color.)
Digital's a whole new world, so you ought to hurry on in and learn what it's all about.

Good luck on the decision.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote