Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1

I thought the Rebel XT comes with a battery, battery charger, USB wires, and camera strap. I checked with two on line camera dealers and was told that the only accessory is a lens cap. Was this true withanyone else'sRebel XT purchase, and all the other needed accessories had to be purchased individually? Thanks for any feedback.
The Damn Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2

I answered this in the other thread, too; and even though we discourage "cross posting", I'll leave this thread since it's a common enough problem it deserves it's own thread.

You can't actually buy the cameras for what some of the Brooklyn based scam artistsadvertise them for, without a catch (or more than one catch). This is just a common variation of the same old scams (claiming the price doesn't include the stuff normally in the box)

If you see a camera at a much lower price compared to other vendors, Caveat Emptor! Use common sense.

Most of the bait and switch type dealers are located in Brooklyn (they seem to be able to get away with it there), and won't sell you a camera for the advertised price unless you agree to buy lots of addons at drastically inflated prices (memory cards, extended warranties, batteries, etc.).

They typically call you to "confirm" your order, and then the sales pitch begins. If you refuse to buy the overpriced addons, then they'll probably refuse to ship it to you (or they'll ship you a partial order with high unauthorized shipping and insurance tacked on, and when you try to return it and dispute it with your credit card company, they'll try to keep the shipping and insurance, as well as a restocking fee, since the restocking fees are displayed in the policies on their web site).

Make sure tocheck customer reviews of vendors you consider using using http://www.resellerratings.com

In addition, I would also recommend avoiding vendors with a small number of customer reviews (vendors have been known to try and pad their own ratings with glowing reviews, and some dealers operate under more than one name -- starting new ones when their reputation gets too bad).

Here is an article Bryan Biggers wrote that I'd strongly suggest you read:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

The tactics he mentions in his article are VERY COMMON, and these vendors usually have very nice looking web sites, with lots of important looking logos.

If you want a reputable vendor that's not going to try to rip you off, try B&H. You can see what the camera normally includes here (click on the "Item Includes" tab when you're on a product page):

Canon Digital Rebel XT - Black at B&H

You'll also see some package deals from them that include things like lenses and memory cards). Just do a search for Canon Rebel XT and you'll see a variety of them listed.

These package deals are actually good ones, based on name brand memory cards and accessories (versus the no-name junk being sold by some vendors, justto increase their profit margins in their packages).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:18 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your indepth reply, along with the links to the buying guide article and the dealer's feedback page. I found it all very helpful. And I actual did find that the two on-line stores I was looking at dealing with had either nothing but negative feedback, or no feedback at all. Thanks for saving me a bunch of aggrevation.

The Damn Viking is offline   Reply With Quote