Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:41 PM   #11

Hi all,

I read with interest as i have just taken my first moon shot with my S2, Now I have no place nor expertise to say what should be set to what but I set my camera in AV mode at f/5.6 and set the metering as spot (anything else just came out as a blob - that's a Scottish technical term you know .. lol). Obviously let the camera set the shutter and I left the safety shift on. I took various shots with different Av settings but all came out much the same. Oh yea I'm obviously at full tele 72mm (432mm , 35mm equivalent.) and using an old shoogly tripod. I took this an hour ago and all i've done is a 100% crop. It's not a great first attempt I have to say but I don't know how much better I'd get from this camera. I'll stay up and grab a few more as the moon moves through and see what I can get. Oh also ISO 100 and WB at auto (just seemed to come out the best at auto).

cheers ........

nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:52 PM   #12

I looked at your site nacoya nice pictures! I have a S2 too and i havent got tophotographing the moon yet to see how mine comes outbut ill be sure to post the outcome.

badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:22 PM   #13

I found a list of photographic "rules" on the Popular Photography website and this list has a rule called the "moony 11" rule. This guideline suggests using f11 @ 1/ISO as a starting point. Just a thought.

GWHayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:57 AM   #14

Hi Nacoya

Your shot is better than you know. The processing is at fault here, not the shot...:lol:

Just make the whole thing darker and then increase the contrast.

Here's another shot with different settings:

800mm, ISO 400, f10, 1/500, shot an hour and a half after dawn - more or less full daylight

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote