Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:06 PM   #1

ok, i screwed up good, sort of. i was changing the setting on the camera so i could display the slide show on my t.v. when i scrolled past format i pressed the enter button, still not sure what i was thinking. anyways, the camera formatted the card without even a warning or asking if i wanted to proceed. well i erased all the images. i know this is hopeless and all is lost forever. BUT is there some miracle way to retrieve the images. i think i already know the answer, but i am desperate.
charliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2

You might be OK, depending on your camera (most models won't overwrite the images after a format). Formatting usually only recreates the FAT (File Allocation Table).

Try Digital Image Recovery (it's free). You can download it using this link:

If you have a card reader, that's best. If not, see if your camera is being recognized under "My Computer". If so, make note of the drive letter for it and run the Digital Image Recovery Program.

You then select English as the languge (when it starts it will ask), andselectthe source drive letter your want it to read from (the drive letter for your card).

You then browse for a folder for it to copy recovered images to on your hard disk drive and press the start button (just leave everything else at the defaults).

It's simple to use.

Here is another product designed to recover images if Digital Image Recovery can't get them back for you (not free, but they have a demo version you can try to see if it works).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:23 PM   #3

You may be screwed if you formatted vs. erased the card but it is worth trying.* Depending on your platform, there are decent image recovery programs that will usually allow you to "try" it.* The trial mode reads the card for images and you generally have to pay for it to recover the images.* I use MediaRecover for my Mac but it is cross-platform.* There are some free ones for Windoze.* I use Digital Image Recovery on my PC at work and it works great.Good luck!
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:14 AM   #4

PC Inspector smart recovery
Image recall 3

Try these; there are others, too, and it is *definitely* possible to recover after a format; I've done it. Don't give up.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:25 AM   #5

thanks to everyone that responded. i got my pictures back.
charliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6

You might want to post which program you used and wnat procedure, so that others benefit from your experience.

Louise Parrish
Louise Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:36 PM   #7

Great job getting your photos back. I know that can be a sinking feeling when something like that happens.

I just wanted to add this utility to the list. I've used it a bunch with my clients & family. Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery - http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm

Its a great program.

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote