Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:44 AM   #1

I am trying to get everything that I could need out in the field. Being that a lot of you are pro, semi pro or just the well educated armature I figured I would ask what I am missing. I know there are different situations where you need specific equipment I just would like to know the most common. Here is my list.

Canon D350 rebel xt
(ranked 1th in its category!!!! they have analysed more then 5000 editorial reviews...)
Canon EFS 18-55 (standard)
Canon EF US 100-300mm
Canon EF US IS 28-135mm
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo
Three Batteries
Three CF card two 1gig one 2gig and one 128mb

Brenda26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

You seem to be well set for lenses, memory cards, batteries, etc. You may want to get some filters: polarizer; UV/skylight (to protect your lens); neutral density. Also, maybe an airbrush and some lens tissue. I'm sure others who use DLSRs can give you more good ideas too.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3

Looks like a good start. A few things we carry other than our lenses and CF cards is a small blower-brush and a microfiber cloth to help keep the lens clean we also have sky-light filters on the lenses. They really do nothing more than protect the lens.

Some band-aids(or small first aid kit) because someone will always need one!!!

Happy shooting

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:59 PM   #4

A granola bar or some kind of food that you can just pack and forget.
Water is a good thing, but its heavy and dangerous around electronic equipment. Still, I almost always bring some.
Medial supplies, even simple stuff. band-aids are good. antibiotic ointment is another good one. If you were going out further into the field I'd suggest tape and an ace bandage.
A plastic bag that doesn't have holes is handy. Water proof, good for trash pickup. Many uses, and its small and light.

Your lens selection is quite wide... but do you really need all of those at once? Rarely, I bet.

Take that backpack seriously. You don't say where you live, but if possible I'd suggest you take your gear and go to a store that will let you fill the bag with your gear and wear it around the store. If you have a "normal" frame (not too tall or too short) LowePro makes a wide variety of bags that while expensive are very, very well made. They understand things like waist belts on the larger backpacks. They are heavy even empty, because of the amount of padding. But they make exelect bags/packpacks. I own... 3 of their bags.

Don't forget that if you get a tripod, you'll want some kind of head to mount the camera on. I suggest something with a quick release plate system. I use an expensive one, but there are cheaper ones by Bogen that are good (not great, but good.) And get a ball head, not a pan-tilt head. The former is made for photography, the later for video and scopes.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

Hat, sunblock and mosquito repellant.

Rain poncho.

Tripod or monopod.

Also maybe a cheap light meter second hand for $10.

Maybe instead of all those lenses you could get a wide angle zoom, a zoom, a telezoom and a 1.4x tele-extender.

Flashlight or headlamp.

Bring a cell phone wth gps.

Good water proof and crush proof case (pelican).

Case of coronas, nachos andsalsa (post shoot).

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:03 PM   #6

Brenda26 wrote:
Canon D350 rebel xt
(ranked 1th in its category!!!! they have analysed more then 5000 editorial reviews...)
Why did you post this? Who are you trying to impress? Yourself, or us? I sure hope that this is not the only criteria you used when making a decision to buy the D350. I hope you made a decision based on features, previous experience with Canon cameras, especially SLR's, and, hopefully, an actual hands on test for ergonomics.

As for what's in my bag:

Sigma 24-135 f2.8
Nikkor 20-35 f2.8
Tamron 28-300 f3.5
Nikkor 105 f2.8
USB 2.0 card reader
3 4GB Hitachi microdrives
Fujitsu Lifebook P-Series notebook & charger
4 250GB Firewire hard drives
Pioneer firewire DVD-RW
3 SLR/n batteries and charger
8 2100 mAh AA NiMH batteries and charger
Sony FX1 and HC1 HDV camcorders
Spare batteries for camcorders and charger
Wide angle add on lenses for camcorders
misc cables for camcorders
Sensor cleaning kit (Visible dust)
Petrol and Lowepro bags
Culmann Magic 2 tripod
Manfroto Neotek tripod and 2 heads
Minolta Dimage D7i
Minolta X50
Jewelers screwdrivers
Leatherman multitool
lots of other small misc stuff

Now that is what I travel with when I leave home for a long trip. What I take out on any given day depends on what I am heading out to shoot. You may notice a lean toward wide angle lenses and fast lenses.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:56 PM   #7

So why did you post all the stuff you carry? Are your trying to impress us with the strength needed to carry so much crap (that you won't actually use in the field shooting), much less on a long trip?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:15 AM   #8

a: I was responding to the *what's in your bag* question,

actually what is in my bag is completely irrelevant and anyone who makes a decision as to what to carry based on my kit is stupid. They should make decisions based upon their needs, not mine.

You will notice that I do NOT list my kit in my signiture (like some others), or elsewhere.

b: when I head out on a trip I head out for 3 to 6 months at a time, so ALL of the equipment I take DOES get used, at one time or another.

However I felt the listing of the aforementioned website to be somewhat silly. NO ONE should base a decision as to what to buy on something so worthless, but instead should do their own research and make an informed intelligent decision, and not base it upon a web site that is basically a popularity contest.

Are you really a moderator? Your response says otherwise.

Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:34 PM   #9

If you actually read the post, you'd see that her subject line is misleading. She is really asking about what she is missing from her bag. To do that, she really has to list what she has now. I bet she is looking for specific things she might not even think of, which inherently has to come from another source.

Very few people actually list their gears in their signatures here. There is some point to doing it, I've been asked questions about specific things I own because I've said I own them. But I generally agree there is little benefit in putting gear in signatures (notice I also don't include items in my signature.)

And asking people for their opinion is a form of research. I agree that it isn't the only thing you should do, but it isn't inherently flawed. You should look at the people who are giving the opinon at the very least. Do they know what they are doing? Do they do similar things to me? Do they have different concerns (for example, infinite budget)? These are just example questions, of course.

It is a perfectly *valid* form of research. You basically said that you shouldn't ask others for their opinions on something... and I completely disagree.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:06 AM   #10

eric: No, i understood the basic question, however, it was the minutae that sets one's kit apart from another. In my case, I think of the minutae as just *other stuff*, rather than as specific items I must have, or at least that I actually think of.

As you stated, the question was rather off base. As basic research, you are correct and I have no problem with that. However, the poster did not post the question properly and then went on to list her(?) kit. I answered in kind and maybe some of what I take on my extended trips will give her some ideas.

I have been in photography for over 40 years, so sometimes I get a little irritated at the *foolish* questions newbies ask. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes something sets me off and in her case it was the post of the website listing the D350 as the number one (or whatever) camera.

Mainly I was trying to point out that one should make buying decisions based upon sounder research than the ranking on some questionable website.

I really did not intend to offend anyone and really do hope that the original poster based her buying decision on something other than just that web site. In any event, the D350 is a fine camera, so she won't have gone wrong.

So, Brenda26, if you are reading this, I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intention. By the way, my Minolta X50 has become indespensible as I carry it with me at all times.