Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:38 AM   #1

Please allow me to ask a question. Whyis it that photographers, especially pros, are so keen toadvertise whatgear they have to the world. Its everywhere, with usernames like Nikonite and L-glass, people listing all theirgear as a signiture, peopleposting photos of their gear, the list could go on.

I have no problem withit at all - don't get me wrong. I'm just curious as to what people get out ofit.You have paid the manufacturer for your equipment, therefore you don't owe them anything, so why give them free advertising.

Unless the manufacturers are actually helping you out as a photographer, what is the point of punting their equipment. It means that they can charge high premiumsfor the equipment without having to justify the cost andthere is no incentive on their side to support photographers.

With professional sports players - if they are not sponsored, they cover the brand of the equipment they use. I'm not suggestinggoingto that extreme, but maybe just to consider, why are we providingfree advertising.

Note -Providing the exifdata is anexample of helping fellow photographers - I don't consider that free advertising.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:20 AM   #2

Because to many photosgrapers, especially the rank amateur variety, their choise of equipment is a statement about their intelligence. So they advertize it. If you question why someone bought a Nikon, Canon, Sigma or Olympus dSLR, you are questioning their intelligence and ability to make an informed decision. To most of these people, THEIR purchase decision, is the ONLY correct option. To suggest otherwise is to suggest they have made an incorrect decision. Something, it seems, very few people are capable of accepting.

Most pros will choose the right *tool* for the job, and could care less about the brand.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

Hi JohnReid,

Years ago I was using a pentex 645 & 6700 for My photography and thought I was doing pretty good at making $$$$. One night I was photographing a party welcoming back a doctor returning from His climbing of Mt.Everest. The party was attended by Lawyers, Doctor and politicians and other big shots in the community. Because I was doing the pictures A couple of the guests asked if I had a "HASSELBLAD" to do pictures they needed for several different things. I bought one the very next day and started calling them and because I had a "Hasselblad" I got so busy I raised my rates to try to slow things down. It did not work because I stayed very busy but I made a lot more $$$$. Word of mouth only advertising. For two months out of the year(October & November)I stayed busy with that type of photography and I did Weddings During June, July, August & September. I got A lot of $$$ for my weddings. It seems everybody I did photo's for knew A "Hasselblad" was the top of the line camera and they wanted the best. As We all know, I could have done just as good or better using the Pentex 645.

Now, I only use A Nikon D100 and do every type of Photography using only:

D100, SB28DX flash, Stroboframe flash bracket, and a 24/120"VR"lens

I still shoot some of My Doctor & Lawyers along with Pets. Portraits, Motorcycles, small weddings & Scenics for My camera club exibits.

I have some health problems now so I had to really slow things down. I sold all of My Hasselblad equipment and just use the Nikon D100digital now but if It were not for that I would have just invested in A digital back for the Hasselblad.

I never used Hasselblad's Name on My business cards but I had A picture of one on them. The picture was enough.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:32 PM   #4

I think Ronnie's situation is different than what you're asking, but not unrelated.

In that case, it is kinda like seeing a person in a lab coat and thinking they are a doctor or scientist. It suggests something about you (that might or might not be true.) But it is part of human nature (where I am in the US any ways) that assumptions are made based on visual impressions. I think it has to do with it being such a visually oriented society.

As to why people like to promote gear to these extreme levels... I think that amazingthailand has basically got it right. In the amature market, many feel very good about their purchase and they want to show it off (clearly they think they got the "right" or "best" stuff, so why not show it off?) This is obviously flawed logic, but that doesn't stop them (they got the best based on their knowledge and finances at the time. That doesn't make it the "best stuff" overall, just the best in that situation.)

As to why pros promote the brands. I think its partually because they are giving back to the community. Sharing their knowledge. Some times it goes too far, and becomes more of self-justification and slamming the others. But I just ignore those people.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:50 PM   #5

I'm not advertising for Canon just showing what camera I have so I can help other users with it. If I had a neck strap with nothing written on it then I would use it but it comes with the camera and works well.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:18 PM   #6

It's not restricted to photographers, most people just love showing off about stuff they have related to what they're passionate about. Got on an AV forum and most peoples signatures will list the make and model of their tv, dvd player, amp, speakers, cables etc. On a videogame forum a lot of people will have links to lists of all the consoles and games they own in their sigs etc etc.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:01 PM   #7

It's called "rug ranking", people judge you based on the equipment you have not on the results you get. They will use anything they can to feel superior to you, brand, model, megapixels, whatever! Just smile graciously and ask to compare photos!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:46 PM   #8

One reson we don't allow universal sigs here is for that very reason. Besides, eating bandwidth, it scews up the Search function because of the sig becomes part of the post.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:47 PM   #9

Yes I think most have already said it pretty well here.

There are a couple of other reasons, some of the more visible pros are sponsored and get a kick back for pushing a particular brand.

Myself I think with the way the camera manfacturer landscape is changeing now, you never know who will be bought out and or disapear next.
If you help promote your favourite brand and help build its ranks it is more likely to survive.
This is especially true for the point&shoots that have already hit market staturation and sales are now expected to begin dropping off drastically, and the DSLR's are expected to be in similar trouble in the next few of years.
DPP article on the shape of the digital market http://digitalphotopro.com/articles/.../roadahead.php

Peter :G
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote