Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

SD (secure digital), CF (compact flash), MS (memory stick), and xD (xtreme digital).

What are the differences in these...and are there any plus's and minus's? I believe Memory Stick is Sony only right?
viper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:19 PM   #2

The only real difference is form factor. Cf cards do have larger capacity, some as big as 8GB. CF and SD are the most used form factors. Even prices are pretty close, especially at the most common sizes (1GB and under). I would not make a camera choice based on memory type...what really matters is image quality and features. memory gets cheaper by the day, and you will likely want to buy a larger card for your next camera purchase anyway.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 4:52 PM   #3

Thanks...I didn't know the above..I am having a very difficult time deciding what to pick..

I like the Kodak line..but wish they had 2.5" screen. However all reviews say they are good. I am looking at the Z760 and DX7630.
A review said the the DX was good in low light situations..something that is important to me.

And a viewfinder is definitely a must in my book as well.

I saw a W7 Sony, 8megapixel..but haven't gotten a chance to actualy see the menu system. It's certainly not as easy to hold as the Kodak, as it's totally retangular, w/no right sided curve.

Buying an SLR is so much easier.
viper69 is offline   Reply With Quote