Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

I got a Sony W1 and now i am trying to use the manual mode.but i dont know how to combine the right aperture number and right shutter speed.Can someone teach me how to take night shot and landscape with the proper number of aperture and shutter speed??Can you guys list them out?

P.S.Shall i also adjust the EV and iso?

neo_lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2

For a night shot the camera has to be sitting on something – preferably a tripod. Use the self-timer to release the shutter. Since you will be using shutter speed to slow to hand hold you usually do better with the lowest ISO and a longer shutter time.

I would start with f2.8 and 4 seconds at wide angle. If you are using telephoto the widest aperture you can get is f5.2, so start with at least 8 seconds. For cityscapes with a lot of light you might want to use a lower shutter speed and for dark situations use more. You can go all the way to 30 seconds in manual. If you need more depth of field you can use a larger number for the aperture and use a longer shutter speed.

For a distant night shot go to manual focus and set it on infinity. The auto focus has problems in the dark with distant targets. Look in your manual and see how to make sure the low shutter speed noise reduction is turned on.

Digital pictures are free. The meter will not tell you how much shutter speed to use at night. Vary your shutter speeds and see what looks best.

For daytime landscapes the best place to start is to put the camera in auto mode and half depress the shutter. Note the shutter speed and aperture. Go to manual and set as close to that as you can get. You will see a + or – EV. If it is plus you need a larger number in the aperture or a faster shutter. The opposite if it is a minus. After a while you will learn to judge pretty close where to start.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:37 PM   #3

Here is a good explanation of the relationship between Shutter Speed, Aperture, EV, and ISO.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

Once you understand the relationships, try different values and see what works in various light conditions.

GreatLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:38 AM   #4

thanks !!!
neo_lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:54 AM   #5

Another good page on how to expose well using manual exposure controls:

airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote