Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:05 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D2X that has 2 dust marks on the sensor that I cannot seem to remove (look a bit like small stains). I am fully capable of cleaning the camera, which I do regularly. I took it to Nikon UK to have it cleaned but I found I did a better job myself.

I guess my question is am I being unreallistic in expecting images that come of my camera to be totally spotless and need no work in photoshop with regards to removing dust etc?

patrick205gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2005, 4:05 PM   #2

On one hand, dust is truly an annoying issue in the DSLR world. I'm suprised more companies haven't tried some sort of solution to alleviate the issue..so far, only Olympus has addresses it. On the other hand, being very careful will help reduce the need to worry about it, and I've never taken an image that I didn't do some postwork on..a few specks of dust is a really easy fix and adds very little time if any to the workflow.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:56 PM   #3

Wait untill a clear day, put a clean lens on, and take a picture of the sky at f/22, and see how big the spots are. If they are huge, I'd be sending it back to Nikon with a copy of the picture, if they are smaller then say 10 pixels wide, I would just Photoshop them out.

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:19 AM   #4

There was a quote from a high up Canon design engineer (I don't remember the exact title) who basically said that they had a design for something that would eliminate dust issues but that the market wanted other features more. I took that to mean it was a cost thing. They couldn't do it at a price point that wouldn't make the camera more expensive than they wanted them to be.

Personally, I do almost no dust removal with my Canon 20D. I attribute that to myself and not the camera. I make damn sure I'm ready with the other lens before I swap to limit the amount of time the interior of the camera is exposed.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote