Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:07 PM   #1

I hoping someone can lead me into the right direction. I am looking for information on electronic (digital) image stabilization system for taking still images.

I know such features exist. The two products that I found so far are:

Sony QUALIA 016

and a mobile phone with this capability

Basically they set exposure time to very low levels and take a few consecutive shots. By averaging (interpolating somehow) the images a more clear image is achieved - see link.

Has anyone run across other cameras with this feature or could point me to a more technical reference for this technique? How does this technique compare to optical IS system?

Thanks in advance.
Mour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2005, 5:35 PM   #2

That kind of anti shake sounds like nothing more than some marketing idiot's pipe dream. What matters is the amount of cameramotion while the shutter is open, e.g., the amount the camera moves between the time the shutter opens and the time it closes. Since they are taking four shots with a total time more than needed for a single shot, there is more time for the camera to move.

The system might work if you are shooting off a tripod, but then it isn't needed.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:18 PM   #3

All in all, I`m pleased with the anti-shake system with Panasonic FZ20. The FZ20 has a 12x zoom lense and I`ve taken numerous pics with it, with really slow "shutter" speeds, all thewhile utilizing long focal lengths. The FZ20 is now obsolete, but it has been replace with the FZ30 which does also have the anti-shake system. It`s something you might want to look into. There is a lot of Panasonic info available on a variety of web blogs.

Technology marches on!

S`later, JH :G
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 7:57 PM   #4

Until recently there were two types of "anti-shake" technology.

One was built into the lens and its holder (barrel). The other built into the camera body. The camera body technology is best represented by Konica-Minolta vs the others (Panasonic, Olympus, etc) which tend to be of the first type.

One could probably argue ad infinitum anout the pros and cons of either type of technology. The lens type technology relied on miniature compensating electronics and mechanical devices to estimate how much camera movement occurred and in which direction so that the lens could be moved in the opposite direction to rectify the problem. Each lens had to have the "anti-shake" technology built in.

The camera body technology relied on compensation electronic and mechanics to move the CCD sensor sufficiently to rectify the error due to camera movement. As you can quickly surmise, the body anti-shake folks claim theirs is better since you don't need to purchase expensive lens with the built-in technology. Any lens that works with the camera is now anti-shake.

As to how effective either technology is, is partly in the eye and the pocketbook of the end-user. If at all possible I would get hold of both types and try them out yourselves.

Incidentally,I have a Konica-Minolta so I know theirs works. there are thousands of Olympus UZ2100 users out there who would never part with their UZ2100 because until recently that was the best combination of "anti-shake" with a 10X zoom lens at an affordable price. Unfortunately, the camera is no longer manufactrued.

Happy shopping.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote