Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

I'm looking at a wide anglelens kit for my Z20....being thatsomehave the"macro" designation in the description does that mean I'm only going to be able to use it for close up shots ?

This is the lens kit I was thinking of buying for my Z20.... click me

This is the other kit I was looking at too, slightly cheaper but no macro designation on the wide angle lens... click me
Z20Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:32 PM   #2

Anyone ??

Lots of users online but nobody is typing :G
Z20Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:45 AM   #3

Not really sure what the 'macro' designation of the lens means, especially when applied to a wide or telephoto adaptor. It may mean that the lens can focus very close to the subject, but it does not mean it can be used only for macro (or at least it should not).

Personally, I would stay far away from those ebay lenses. They are mostly overpriced, and junk.

I would think of the Konica Minolta ZCW-200 0.7x Wide Angle Converter lens instead. Much better quality.

Alternatively, you might consider one of the Raynox line of lenses. Some of them are considered very good.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:08 AM   #4

Those are very propably some general low quality (actually I wouldn't use word quality in same paragraph) El Cheapos adequate only for job of paperweight.
And that word macro is very often used in those.... makes selling overpriced paperweights easier.

Camera maker's own converters provide generally best quality.

Here's some comparison shots of Raynox's converters and Z3 which is quite similar camera.

That one element 0.5 coverter (DCR-5000) is definitely quite worthless for still cameras, it shows chromatic aberration and very poor sharpness even in downsized images... but it might be still better than those El Cheapos.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote