Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:41 AM   #1

I just purchased a Fuji S5200 and am toying with the idea start purchasing items for a small studio in the house. Nothing fancy, just a couple halogen work lights, umbrellas, light stands, etc. I know the camera is not the ideal portrait camera, but it's about all I can afford right now and should be good enough for me to get my feet wet in the portrait realm, right?? I have never had a camera with any real manual controls before so this is definately a learning experience. Also plan on picking up Paint Shop Pro 8, for myolder computer, to do a little post processing. So, am I nuts for wasting my time and money on something like this, or will I be able to get decent results, with a little practice of course? Not looking to do this for a living, just family photos, mainly of my 16 month old.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
onefastseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:06 PM   #2

It all depends on your goals. Is it just to take good shots of your family? Then you can do it on the cheap and spend as much time and energy as to make yourself happy with the quality of the shots.

On the other hand, if you're thinking of doing it for others... then yes, you are a little crazy (I'm not saying don't do it, just that you're a little crazy.) You see, then it isn't *your* expectations that matter. It is theirs. And you have no control over their expectations (once they hire you, that is. You could refuse to take them on.)

I would suggest spending the minimum required and see what you can do. To me, that means.... good lighting (obviously required) and a backdrop. You might even get away with a flash and soft-box for starter-lighting. It won't be great, but it won't be bad either.

Taking pictures of babies isn't easy as you can't just tell them "sit still". And things like that. But none of those skills (how to handle your model) require lots of expensive hardware. So I would suggest you buy as little as possible and *learn* as much as you can. Then you'll learn what you need... and you'll spend your money on what you actually should buy, instead of what we think you need.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:09 AM   #3

I think that's a fantastic idea...assuming you're not taking over the living room or the kitchen for your project. The only negative aspect I can see is that your little one may refuse to go anywhere near the studio after a couple hundred captive hours posing for you (LOL).

Have fun.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote