Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:11 PM   #1

I was married 2 years ago and when going through the cd's of pictures..... i just found that alot of the pictures are missing, and the one, which happens to be the last one on the disc....9nut it wasn't the last one originally) seems to have half of the picture greyed out...as though the disc is gradually eating the pictures? is there any pooibilityu of this?...am i crazy?

can i rescue them with a rescueing program..like you woul,d a deleted memory card? ( is it anything like the acid eating photograpgs??)

as always thanks for your advice!!

dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2

CD-Rs do deteriorate over time, though I think 2 years is a pretty short life.The color you see in the disc is an organic dye, which is burned by the laser to change its reflectivity. Exposure to light and heat can cause the dye to change over time. There are archival quality CD-Rs made, but they are more expensive.

I tried an experiment with some known good quality CD-Rs, involving exposure to direct sunlight. In the first check after just one month, there was major data loss. Keep 'em ina cool, dark place.

As for recovering data, I am not sure. Maybe trying the disc on another player would help, as the reading lasers do lose power over time, and sometimes the optics get just a bit of film that causes problems.

After losing nearly a year's worth of photos due to a hard disc crash, I tend to do double backups on CD and another on hard disk. Thinking also about a portable hard drive for off site storage. Yes, I'm getting paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote