Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1

I use photoshop cs and am trying to make wallet size prints of my two kids with the christmas tree for our christmas cards. I put a fancy string of christmas lights around the edge of the photo, and when I took it in to get developed the printer cut off the top and bottom of the lights, How do I prevent this. I probably could make my image smaller then load it to disc, and print it. how do i do it. currently when I go to image size is shows the image as 35 x 28 inches in size. olease help
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2

you must make an image so that the ratio of the dimensions is a standard print size

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3

Wallet size is usually 3.5 X 3.5 or 3.5 X 5 inches. The pixel dimensions aren't important as long as you have sufficient pixels, which I am sure you do for a wallet size. But the image has to be cropped to the proper proportions.

You don't mention what program you are using to edit the image or whether you are overlaying the lights onto the image or outside. Your first step is the same though; crop the image so that it is square for 3.5 X 3.5 or in a 3.5 X 5 ratio of width to height. If you can't figure out how to do that in your program use this: http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/ It will keep all of the pixels you don't crop out. It is important to keep the pixels. You are evidently defaulted to 72PPI and that wouldn't give a good image. Whatever resizing you do in another program, make sure "Resample Image" is NOT checked.

If you are putting the lights onto the image you will maintain the proportions. If you are putting them outside the image you will still be fine with the square wallet size, but will screw up the proportions of the long one. In the case of adding something outside the image with the long wallet size only, create a new file with proportions 3.5 X 5 and drag the image into it. Use the transform tool and resize it so it fits inside. Do any cropping you have to do so the outside is even. Then add the lights on the outside.

You want to make sure your image size shows 3.5 X 3.5 or 3.5 X 5 and at least 300 PPI when you are ready to take it to the printer. If the wallet size is different from that you want to end up with an image the same size.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote