Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:13 PM   #1
Default What to buy next?

I started off with a 1.5 megapixel camera (Leica Digilux zoom - same as the Fuji 1700MX) and then added an Olympus C2100UZ.

Lately I started to hanker after a camera with more megapixels, but have done nothing about it.

Yesterday though, I saw pictures displayed on a bigger monitor than my own 17 inch ADI Microscan. The bigger one was my son's 19-inch Samsung 955DFF with 0.20 dot pitch. I was so impressed that I've just bought one.

It may be that more megapixels will give tend to give better prints. But I seldom bother with prints, except small ones, 3 1/2 x 5. Nearly all of my viewing is done using a monitor.

Using my new monitor, I've looked at pictures taken with the old 1.5 megapixel camera - and now I ask myself - if prints aren't a big deal for you, why would you want a camera with more than around 1.5 or 2.0 megapixels? The pictures taken on my old 1.5 megapixel camera, viewed on the screen, seem to me to be razor-sharp and full of detail.

MY conclusion is - if you want to see better quality pictures and if you'd rather view them on your monitor than as prints - then your money's better spent on a good monitor than on a camera with extra megapixels.

Does anybody agree?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:17 PM   #2

I view more pics on the monitor than I print. The c2100 will provide excellent prints and pics on a monitor as well.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:48 PM   #3

Also, wouldn't more MP be important if you needed to do a lot of cropping?

I like to have the ability to crop, and also when I do get a shot that I really like (a rare enough event), I usually like to print it out, and I never know when I might like to print it out in a large size.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:55 PM   #4

For me, half the fun of photography is sharing pics with others--friends and relatives. A lot of them don't have computers or access to internet, so printing is a must.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:22 PM   #5

If you are viewing almost entirely via a computer screen, 2.0 MP is more than adequate. It's even great for 4x6 prints. Good for 5.x7 too.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:37 PM   #6

Herb, I agree! Viewing pics taken with just about any good digital camera viewed on a good 19" monitor is a startling improvement over even the very best 15 or 17 inch models. As cheap as monitors are these days, unless you have space constraints a 19 inch monitor is the way to go...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:02 PM   #7

I agree...I had a flatscreen 15" for 7 years, and it was the right time to buy a 19". In my case I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 957MB; chose that one because it didn't have those damn Trinitron/Aperture-Grill lines (2-3 horizontal wires that show up black on the display).

Also, if you're editing photos go for a CRT over an LCD...sure LCDs look nice, but they're not good for editing, and unless you get a good one you can have spots dimmer than others. Plus the backlight has a limited life, and it costs a great deal more than a larger CRT.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote