Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:30 PM   #1

Hi, would it be worth waiting to purchase a camera in a month or two? I am aware that with various industries it can be financially wise to purchase at certain times of the year or month, is that true for the camera industry?The camera I'm most interested in was released in Feb. '05.Thank you!
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:18 AM   #2

Depends whether it is a discontinued line. Take for instance the Canon ixus 50. when first introduced in this country it was £300. Now they are being sold as a bundle with a Selphy printer for £249. What amazes me is the rapidity of new cameras on the market. With auto`s it takes an eternity for a maker too tool up for a new model
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:10 AM   #3

Completely unscientific, but I believe around 9 months after inception you start seing a good price drop on digicams from the online dealers. Because by that time there are other 'hot' cameras out from competitors and a replacement will be soon forthcoming. So, I wouldn't say there is a particular month that's better than another unless you find a particular manufacturer always tends to release in a given month. But the reality is there are many fantastic digicams that are several generations old - you don't have the quantum leaps in features that the DSLR market is currently exhibiting in each new generation. So, I don't think there is a need to get the latest and greatest digicam.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:59 AM   #4

I was under the crazy illusion that the January sales are sometimes cheaper.
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:06 PM   #5

HA HA HA HA HA HA, continuing on to infinity. SALE! HA HA HA HA, are you that stupid??.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote