Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:11 PM   #1
Default Need Purchasing Help...

To make a long story short, I've been (leisurely) using a digital camera for several years - I currently own and operate a Canon A40 which has met my needs thus far. The picture quality has been fine for what I've been doing - my only complaints with this camera is the blocking of the viewfinder when using the add-on wide angle lens, and the limited low level lighting capabilities.

Recently I've been involved in the design and installation of outdoor lighting projects for a variety of landscape requirements. Wide angle and night photo's have become very important, so I'm thinking about the smartest choice and approach in upgrading.

I'm very happy with Canon - the quality and "bang for buck" is comparable to anything else on the market (at the very least), so let's just leave it at that and accept the fact that Canon is my first choice - everything else is secondary but considerable.

Although I'm merely an amateur, I do have the desire to learn and grow and become a very good (non-professional) photographer. My budget is also limited, so I can't just grab the top of the line product - I need to take it step by step.

I'd like to spend as little as $350, but I can spend $500 on my immediate purchase if it's a smarter thing to do when looking at the big picture. With the recent introduction of new camera's, I'm actually eyeing the Powershot G2 at $450 - a price drop of about $200 since I last purchased my A40.

Any thoughts or opinions on viable products to consider and a game plan for purchasing and upgrading over time will be greatly appreciated!
Pyezahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links