Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Greetings everyone

For a while now I have been thinking about printing my panorama pictures I have taken during summer vacation in Turkey. Now there is only one problem - I dotn realyl know what size I could get for the quality to be high? (to avoid the noice and pixels)

All pictures were taken on 6MP camera, in 3k pixels resolution at super high JPG quality.

Any advice would be nice.
tom.krysiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:43 PM   #2

The megapixel rating isn't as important as the precision of each pixel. The 6mp Canon Digital Rebel I have at work is extremely precise, and can do much larger prints than my 8mp Panasonic FZ30. This is because the image is so clean on the Rebel that enlargements come out very smooth, where the FZ30 has a lot more noise which smudges out a lot of the finer detail. I don't know what kind of camera you're using, but you can pretty easily find out whether you can do very large prints at high quality.

Here's what you do. First, decide how big you want it to be and what dpi it should be. dpi should be determined by how close you expect your image to be inspected. For a magazine, 300 dpi is standard since you read it up close. Posters look good from pretty close at 150 dpi. If it's going in a spot where it won't be viewed up close, you can probably do 100 dpi or maybe even lower.

When you pick a size (it doesn't have to be your final choice), resize your image in Photoshop to that size. Then, crop an 8" x 10" piece of it where there's decent amount of detail. Print that out. View the image from about the distance you'd expect to view your poster. You should then know from that whether you need to go smaller, whether it's fine as is, or whether you might be able to go bigger.

If you chose a rather low dpi and the print looks a bit jaggy, you can try increasing the dpi to soften the image. You might even add a bit of gaussian blur. That can be very effective if you do it on a duplicate layer, and then mask out the areas where you want to retain more detail.

There are also programs designed to smooth out jaggies when enlargements are made which can do a better job than Photoshop. Check this out:

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote