Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:43 PM   #1

Several years ago, I admired some prints from a local pro using what I remembered him describing as a "giclee" print. It looked almost like the photo had been painted. Does anyone have any info on this technique such as cost, where to get printed, etc? Thanks!

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:28 AM   #2

Yes. this is the method used by many artist, myself included, for reproducing paintings. It is most often expensive as it requires costly equipment skilled photography and editing. Typically I am provided with a "proof" to compare with the original painting before the final printing. The process is not just used for Fine Arts but is widely used i n commercial printing as well. The process has old roots going back long before computers.

One difficulty with our "at home" ink jet printers is that they typically lack white pigment and depend on the white in the paper to acurrately mix colors. As great as these printers are, they can come up short of what the photographer might have expected or hoped for. Having said that, I am also amazed at how fantastic some of these prints are! I have learned a lot from digital photography and editing and printing at home. When I look at the "proofs" of my paintings ( at the printer) I am then able to talk knowledgably with the printer and make adjustments.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote