Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:19 PM   #1

Just bought the A610. I like everything about it but am finding the red eye reduction function is weak. Canon is using the red eye lampinstead of the burst flash for red eye reduction. The red eye lamp works only over small distances (less than 2 m) and only if the subjects stare directly at the lamp. I am getting red eye in 80% of my lower light pictures. I know that software can fix this but am wondering if others are experiencing this same challenge.

kuchtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:08 PM   #2

All the compact digi cameras suffer from this problem, not just cannon. Since it has no provision for external flash, there is not much cure. Red eye reduction schemes are a joke, none work.

Close head shot portraits work, and produce no red eye. Or using available light with no flash works. Anything else? - well there isn't anything else.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:27 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure most compact cameras have this problem. But there is one solution which I use all the time - software (specifically iPhoto, but many programs do it).

I have a toddler and expecting her to stand still while the flash strobes (or to stare at the pretty red light) is a bit silly. I turn all camera red-eye reduction off and fix it later in software - it takes a few seconds. Furthermore, I find I am much more likely to catch a good photo this way than with the shutter delay induced bythe red-eye reduction mechanisms.

The hardware solution is to get an external flash/bounce flash but that seems like overkill for a point and shoot compact camera. For the time being, software works for me and is so easy it's not funny (click on photo, click on red eye reduction button, click on eyes, done).

John S is offline   Reply With Quote