Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:30 PM   #11

In this area, you see lots of parents with cameras at school functions, and I've never seen anyone object to photos being taken of their children at one.

I think it's expected to see parents taking photos (at least in my "neck of the woods").

For example, there were dozens of parents using cameras at the last School Dance Recital I went to. I didn't bother to get permission to take photos (and I doubt anyone else did either).

Taking photos at these kinds of events is a way to capture memories of child's life, and it would not be practical (or desirable) to try and exclude their classmates.

I guess we live in strange times, and there are a lot of "nut cases" around.

But, you don't want kids growing up in a vacuum either, and I think that we're seeing a lot of paranoia over nothing for the most part.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:01 AM   #12

As it turns out I've had to do a fair amount of looking into this in recent days. And what I've learned is that most folks are WAY off base in what can and can't be photographed. In most cases, we can shoot quite a bit more than what we are think.This is also true for what can bepublished.

Basically, in a public place (and most private places), if you can see it you can shoot it and publish it without consent. Even minors without parental consent. It boils down to an "expectation of privacy" and not causing harm. Some of the examples written by photographers who are laywers are in some articles already mentioned in this thread:

To be brief: You shoot photo's at a mall of children playing without parental consent. This is legal. You post the prints to a web site, also legal. There's no expectation of privacay. If however, you photograph a person standing in a corner reading his/her prescription of prozac (there's an expectation of privacy since the person is trying to hide what they are reading in a corner). You can't shoot this.

Some of the other stuff I've read: You take photo's of your familly at Disney, clearly in the shot are 20 other people (in backgroundyou can tell who they are)... Would you be expected to get signed releases of all of these peopel to post the image? Of course not. A parent takes a shot of their kid playing basketball, there are 4 other kids in the picture. The parent post the picture on a site like snapfish, other people can buy prints from the image? Is this legal? No consent to photograph the minors that are not children of the parent was not given, nor was permission to publish the images on the web?

Interesting stuff.
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:56 AM   #13

As a parent, I suppose I'd be uncomfortable if a photographer was following my daughter around and taking pictures of her, but if she was at a public event, I wouldn't be concerned if a photographer took pictures which included her. I photograph my daughter's softball games, and many if not most shots include members of the other team, usually strangers. I post these photos on Snapfish for our team parents to download or buy prints. It has never occurred to me to ask the other team's parents for permission, and apparently there is no legal reason to do so.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:29 AM   #14

You certainly have the right to ask or demand whatever you want, and I can understand your point of view but the person you are asking has no obligation to answer or oblidge you in any way if you are in a public place. You can report them to the authorities, but there is no cause of action (no laws have been violated) If you take your agressiveness to far, you will likely be the one in violation of the law. A gracious cop might ask the guy some questions, but thats it. I have dealt with this issue on both sides (Im a cop) and have been questioned by my fellow officers (in the NYC subway for instance)

So for most cases I just check with common sense. If im taking photos and there are kids around and someone asked me to stop or whatever, I would just out of respect. This is just a hobby. But there may be a time when you need to know the law.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:35 AM   #15

I think you are fine in what you are doing. In fact, you have shown alot more diligence than most would even attempt. Im sure if you had a Associated Press tag around your neck, the league director wouldnt mind, even though you are doing the same thing.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:56 AM   #16

Excellentpoints, Vatechdigger.

Yes, I know my limits as a citizen.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote