Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:24 AM   #1

I've really began to see how much a proper flash is when shooting photography of all types and need to make another investment. So far i've got the stock lens, 2gb microdrive, 100-300 telephoto Canon Ultrasonic Lens and soon i'm planning on getting a very nice shorter yet much faster and higher quality lens for all around shooting like the Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens ssince my current stock lens is just too slow and the telephoto lens while working great, just doesn't cut it for most situations in my opinoion. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Later on down the road when I get my tax return, i'm considering buying this killer
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens which I've borrowed once from my Uncle and the image quality and sharpness of the photographs were just beyond belief. (but for $1500, it had better be an amazing piece of gear.

As for the flash, i've noticed the stock built in flash on the Rebel XT is just complete garbage, hitting peoples faces with sharp overexposed shiny spots from the very small and directional flash ad after after borrowing one of my Uncle's high end Canon $400 flash, a Canon 580EX Speedlite E-TTL II. I'd like to save a few bucks and get the one step down, the Canon 550EX Speedlite TTL Shoe Mount Flash (Guide No. 180'/55 m at 105mm)

So what do you guys think of these choices I'm making thus far? I'm quite amature in my photography skills but am picking things up at a pretty solid pace. Especially after getting a copy of a great book which focuses exclusively on the Rebel and Rebel XT SLR Cameras.

Here are a few examples of my low experience level. The first shot i took with a super long exposure time since the sun was far past sunset but i kept shooting anyways too see if i could get anything cool.

Here is my buddy from Renner Motorsports during a trip we went on to participate in an auto-racing school for the weekend.

And here we are driving through Death Valley at speeds i will not mention on this forum. For reference..... this Subaru WRX has 350 horsepower at the wheels..... not the crank like car manufacturers alawya flaunt on their specs sheet. Ahh.... nothing like a WRX that does 11's in the 1/4 miles.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:47 AM   #2

I assume the 100-300 is the Canon 100-300 f5.6? That is a fairly sharp lens, actually. on photozone.de it rates a 3.56 out of 5 (in the "good-very good" catagory.) It isn't as good as the 70-200 f2.8 that you used, but not many zooms are!

That lens has about a 3 times magnification power compared to the human eye (after taking into account the smaller sensor on the DRebel.) for some things that is nice, but for a walk around lens it is usually too much reach. The 28-135 I own and it isn't bad for parties, portrates and such. Just enough reach for the grab shot across the room and good for small group shot. The problem is in sharpness. It only rates a 2.63 (afterage) on photozone. It isn't a bad lens, I like the results I get, but I wouldn't expect it to be as sharp as the 100-300.

The problem is that to get a very sharp lens will almost certainly cost you more money... and sharpness isn't everything. A lens that is big, heavy, and sharp might mean you don't carry it around... and sharp or not if you don't have it, it won't take good images!

The 70-200, if you need something good in that range, is really quite amazing. One of the best 35mm zoom lenses made by anyone (note, I said "one of" all you people out there! ) If you don't mind its weight, it is a great lens to have.

I own the 550EX and it is a good flash. I didn't think it was sold any more, but maybe it is. I though tthe 580EX replaced it. Either way, I agree with you that the on camera flash isn't very good if you're serious about your pictures. It's good in a pinch (and I've used it successfully) but a "real" flash is worth it if you use a flash a lot. They are annoying because of the extra weight, but often there is really no substitute for a good flash.

That is a very nice sunset, good job! If you like to hike and shoot landscapes, you might consider the 70-200 F4. Not that it is better than the f2.8 version (I'm honestly not sure) but its still stunningly good and much lighter. And when you hike, light is really important.) Another lens to consider is the Canon 17-40 f/4. It is quite wide, which you often need for wide angle shots like landscapes and sunsets.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote