Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:50 PM   #1
Default Flowers Closeups

Hello everybody. I was looking for some digital cameras over the web, and just found Steves homepage.

I am totally unfamiliar with photography, but I was thinking of getting my parents a professional digital camera. My father love taking closeups of flowers and other nature images, but he never went digital.

I was thinking of something really nice with the best quality images (just like magazines). I found some cameras like the Casio QV-R4, and although I like it I think it is not a professional, is it?

IŽd like to ask your guys for wich brand/models should I look for for more quality images.

Thanks in advance,

david-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:18 PM   #2

How much can you afford to spend?
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:23 PM   #3

Hi steve6,

I was thinking something under 1.500,00 usd. Would that be enough to get one regular camera? Nothing too expensive, but still professional...

Thanks for helping!
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:45 PM   #4

1.5 big ones. Plenty of dosh that.

I'm not well up on cams in that price range. I'm happy with the cheaper range. Don't discount the likes of the Nikon 5800 and the Minolta Dimage 7Hi.

Perhaps the Oly E20.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 3:16 PM   #5

WoW! $1500US for a gift. Hmmm...how about looking at Nikon 5700, Olympus E-10, Olympus E-20, & Canon Powershot G3. You can also try used Digital SLRs like a Canon d30 or d60.

The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 4:23 PM   #6
Default Close-up flower pictures

I should think that for the price quoted, you should get a very satisfactory camera.

At the same time, I think you could get a satisfactory camera for less money than that.

To see what I mean,l take a look at a few flower close-ups that I've posted at Pbase: most were taken with an Olympus C2100UZ which is 2.1 megapixels. At least two of them were taken with a 1.5 megapixel camera (a Leica Digilux Zoom - same as the Fuji MX1700zoom, both now discontinued) with a really cheap close-up lens pushed over the camera lens. (The close-up lens was a plastic lens taken from a $3 toy telescope).

Here's the Pbase URL -
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 5:33 PM   #7

I think for about 1200 can or 800us you could probably get an excellent camera such as Fuji Finepix S602 6mp for 1200can or a Olympus C-5050 5MP for the same price
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:06 PM   #8

Thanks for all the tips guys. About the budget, this is a retirement gift for my father, so I just cant save on that, right I hope he likes the surprise!

Ill take a look on all those cameras you guys recomended, but unfortunately I know nothing about the specs. All I know is when a picture is high or low quality. I consider high quality those pictures on magazines (and some sites), am I right?

Ill keep studying all your tips, thanks for all the priceless help.

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what Digital SLRs stands for?
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:52 PM   #9

I know this was a long post, I hope you find it helpful. People should feel free to correct me (as always.)

A "digital SLR" is a "SLR" camera which has been adapted to capture the picture digitally. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex; it means the eyepiece you look through actually looks through the lens when taking the picture. Cheaper camers don't have this, which makes it harder to frame the picture.

What type of camera does he have how? That will make a big difference. If he owns a camera with replaceable lenses then your decision becomes harder. He will probably want to reuse his lenses, and therefor your choice of cameras is smaller (and more expensive.) Lens mounts are propritary, so a Canon lens won't work on a Nikon body. As examples, the Canon D60 and the Nikon D100 are digital SLR cameras (the Canon Rebel series and Nikon 8008 are SLR film cameras.)

If he doesn't have a collection of lenses to reuse, then you have a lot more choices. $1,500 can get you any consumer grade camera, and most "prosumer" cameras (basically a camera which has more features like the professional-grade cameras... but not all the features (or the high price.))

Taking pictures of flowers means you need a camera which has good macro capabilities (or good macro add-on lenses.) The Nikon CoolPix series has generally been very good at this. I would use the search feature here to look for "macro" and see what you turn up. I'm not an expert in this area.

Another thing to consider is his computer. One is (basically) required. Since you don't send the pictures in to be developed, you are the "digital darkroom". You display and edit the pictures on you computer. This involves correcting exposure if its too dark/light, croping and/or enlarging as needed. He will need software and a decent computer to do this. Almost all cameras come with software, and it's possible to download some good packages for free. The most popular software is photoshop, which costs around $600usd new. I'd start with the simpler free packages.

Since he is starting from scratch, this is the minimum I'd buy as a gift. Others can chime in:

1) Camera (of course)
2) Extra (and larger) memory card. What type of memory it uses is camera dependent. But what comes with the camera is almost always too small.
3) Memory Card Reader. Most digital cameras transfer the pictures fairly slowly. A dedicated card reader is almost always faster.
4) Spare batteries and a charger. Hopefully the camera uses AA, but many use propritary batteries. The Maha C-204F charger and 2 set of good rechargeable NiMH batteries is the minimum I'd get with AA's (i.e. if it uses 4, get 8.)

I'm assuming he has a camera bag, good strap (if he has neck/back problems) and a tripod.

From the list above (#2 & #3) and #4 each have dedicated forums here. Poke around there and read some posts. Also read:

This is the companion site to these forums, where Steve reviews cameras and related equipment. You'll find good info about batteries, memory cards... all you need to know to learn the terms.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:08 PM   #10

It's hard to recommend a camera for someone, and it's a lot harder to buy a one as a gift for someone. There have been complaints here that the camera is too complicated, or too simple...it all depends on the person's ability with photography. Even if you try to match the person's abailities, they may be unhappy with the choice. Even the camera I bought for myself I've outgrown (it's only been 7 months since I bought it).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote