Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:22 AM   #1

ok i'm going to be doing my first wedding on digital... the camera i'll be using is a fugi 7000 now what i ned to know, flash setting's, film speed settings? and the like.... hopefully the sun will be shining as it's going to be a outside wedding, so i'll have to take that into consideration etc iso is 400 at the moment. will i need to change it?

any help or tips will do.... i was thinking of taking my smoke machine up for a blast as well

Dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:01 AM   #2

Do you get noise issues at 400ISO? I know I tend to get a bit of noise at over 400ISO with my Canon 300D. If it's in good light I'd prob back it off to 100ISO cos I'm paranoid about noise (thank God for Noise Ninja).
CastAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:27 AM   #3

Where to start with what you need for weddings:roll:. These are the questions I would ask

-Do you have backup equipment....camera, batteries, storage cards?? You should have 2 of everything you bring in case of failure.

--You said the wedding will be outdoors...what about the reception??? Will you be shooting that as well. If so, you're going to need some slave flashes. You may need them outdoors as well to provide fill.

--Do you have a list of poses the Bride and Groom want.

--Are you comfortable with all the exposure modes of your camera?? Keeping detail in a white dress next to a black tux is one of the hardest things to do in photography. That being said, I would shoot in RAW so you have the most dynamic range.

There are many, many other things to consider. In all honesty, I wouldn't attempt to shoot a wedding with a P&S camera. You really need a DSLR. P&S have limited ISO's, slow RAW (if any) performance, weak flashes, more shutter lag, are often limited on the wide end of the focal range (remember group shots!!), etc.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:51 AM   #4

My advise is simple, back off.

OK, if it's too late to turn back, then go ahead plunge straight into the perfect storm.

Now, try tofind somebody who could help you shoot the wedding, he or she doesn't have to have pro equipment, you need someone who could cover your missed shots. You can also pick your partner among the audience.

The Fuji S7000 is an old model, I assume you already familiar with your camera, that's good news, watch out for the trees, distracting background... in your composition, play safe, shoot front light, refrain from shooting backlight. In case you run out of batteries, ask the audience, they always have AAs in their flashlight in the car. I've seen pro with thousands of gear and still mess up the whole wedding, so don't worry about your limited equipment, it's the confidence in yourself is the most important thing.

I like Fuji photographers, they are very daring, and aggressive, shoot first and ask question later.

Go to Fuji forum, you'll meet those brave photographers down there. We'll discuss your next move.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:26 AM   #5

I agree with coldshot's advice: don't do it. Esp don't be the only photographer. If you areset to be the only photographer and it is a large scale, formal wedding, running away to a remote monastary is likely to be your fate after the wedding so you might as well do it before.

If it is an informal wedding with no real expectations of great photos, go for it.

Get as much help as you can.have a good list of what formal shots are needed: bride and groom with -her parents, his parents, uncle Fred, grandma Jones, ... Lots of disposable cameras handed out, some one to help you arrange poses and find the folks for the shots, ... this kind of thing:

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6

In case my message wasn't clear, my advice would be not to do it. Even if they say they have no expectations, trust me they do and this is not a situation where you get a do over.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:22 AM   #7

DX, you say your first wedding on Digital, so I assume you've shot a number of weddings with good results using film.

If not then "Best of Luck to you" what folks have said rings true. To do a wedding right is a lot of work, prep, patience getting folks to do what you want for the formal shots is like hearding cats. Talk to the folks in charge of the location (reverand, priest etc.. find out where you can stand, can you use flash), are you going to shoot a shot for the paper? Are you shooting the bride getting ready the day of? What's lighing like at the house if you are?

Assuming you know all of this and have done it with film. Then not a lot different really except that you can take a lot more shots at no "real" extra cost to you. Just like film, have backup equipment!

The post wedding stuff will change a lot or a little depending on how you work it. You can post images to a web site. Do your own printing, if not do you use a lab you are happy with? Do you put the album together? Do you sell just the prints and keep the NEGs? Do you sell the electronic versions of the images?

Just some food for thought.

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:22 AM   #8

I've now shot three weddings on digital and have to say they are tough. An assortment of lenses and flashes are quite necessary especially during the cerimony where you cannot use a flash in many situations, especially if they have someone doing video work.

I found that if you keep back from the action and take TONS of shots, you'll be ok. Make sure you have a very good understanding of framing, angles of how the subects need to be stand, and DON'T use the built in flash. Get a flash where you can bounce light around to avoid unflattering shadows and shine on peoples faces.

Shoot me an e-mail at andrewkalionzes@adelphia.net and i'll send you some of the stuff i've done.

Oh... also try to either borrow, rent, or bet from a friend/relative a high end lens. I've show two weddings with my kit lens and i just got in the way more than i wanted. The third wedding i borrowed my Uncle's Canon L Series 70-200mm f/2.8 Image Stabilization lens which is heavenly and works great almost any situation. One of the biggest problems you'll have with a short lens is that they tend to distort the facial features when doing portraits. I shoot all my portraits at around 70mm if there is adequate light.

The best part of shooting weddings is the reception and all the amazing candid shots you can get during the dinners, reception, dancing, etc. Try staying back so they don't notice you and fire away.

Also bring LOTS of storage. I filled up my 2gb microdrive as well as a 1gb CF card in one single wedding because i did tons of rapid fire sessions like when the bride and groom were walking away after the ceremony was finished and the sequences of photos taen turned out amazing.

Good luck with the wedding. Dont get nervous. just study first and you'll do fine.
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:47 AM   #9

I would not assume that because it's an outside wedding, it will be a "piece of cake".

Lighting can be quite harsh (you don't want to take those group photos with sun shining on faces for sure).

I shot a lot of photos at a friend's wedding a while back, and made the mistake of using dead on metering with film. It was held under a gazeebo that was in shadows, with strong backlight from behind (opening in back of gazeebo). I was not allowed to use a flash for fill.

I bumped up the exposure with a digital camera I was using at the same time (I wanted all bases covered in that lighting), and the digital pics actually came out better (despire the film's better dynamic range, and despite the blown background from using brighter exposure with Digital to help expose the subjects in shadows).

:Loss of contrast from flare caused by the backlight didn't help any either (with both cameras).

Also, if you make a metering mistake with Digital, it can give you less than optimum results after post processing (and that goes for film, too).

You can't recover those blown highlights, and can only pull so much detail out of shadows without degrading image quality significantly, especially with a non-DSLR model.

Hopefully, this is not your first wedding. If so, rethink it. It's not easy.

Here is an article you may want to read for starters Most of the article assumes you'll be using film, but many of the same principles apply.

Wedding photos are too important to a bride. You only get one chance to preserve those memories. If something goes wrong (for example: equipment failure, user error), they may never forgive you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote