Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:50 AM   #1

If a camera is purchased in the U.S.A can the camera be fixed in canada using this U.S. warranty.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2

I don't believe so.. though could be wrong.. I think it depends on the manufacutuer. Best bet would be phone whichever one you're dealing with directly.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:31 AM   #3

if it states in the warranty card that it is an international warranty then it should be honored in canada. otherwise, if it states that it is only USA warranty then it only applies within the USA.
booghaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:42 AM   #4

I think big makers have continental wide warranties...
On the other hand EU might have something to do with that it's same from where you buy inside EU.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:43 AM   #5

The purpose on an international warranty, is that if you purchase a camera in your home country and travel to another country and have problems, you can have it serviced in that country, rather than having to send it home. However I have read posts from people that have bought cameras (canon) in the US while on holiday and have had them serviced when they get back home to Germany. Different makers have different rules.
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:21 AM   #6

To backup the person who said it was manufacturer dependent...
It is my understanding that at least on the DLSRs, Canon is picky about not fixing an out-of-the-US camera in the US, but my understanding is that Nikon does do it (Even though they don't like to.)

The problem is that imported cameras can be cheaper (some times by a lot) and therefor people buy those. But the camera makers don't want you to do that (they want maximum profit) but they can't stop you... so instead they get you on the back-end by not repairing them.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote