Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How often do you use/ pack your camera (?) around?
Take camera to events/ outings only 1 7.69%
Walks, events and more 5 38.46%
70-90% of the time it's with me 5 38.46%
Practically sleep with it 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:39 AM   #1

I find 4/7 days in the week, I have my camera with me throughout the day.. backpack.. in the car.. stroller.. etc.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:05 PM   #2

This is very seasonal for me, though. When the sun is up longer, I'm photographing several times during the week. During the winter, when the sun sets before I leave work I only shoot on the weekend.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:11 PM   #3

I normally take pictures 5 days out of seven, that way at least once a month I get a picture I like, but as it is only the 9th of the month, I have yet to get a good one LOL :G:|

inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:32 AM   #4

My DiMage Z1 is in my coat pocket and my Canon A410 is on my belt. And my phone has a (not very good, but there anyway) 640x480 camera built in. I'm covered!
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:41 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i keep a pocketable digicam (panasonic lx1) with me in my computer case most of the time. so i shoot with that a few times per week if i happen to be around something interesting.

i take out the dslr gear about once a week or every other week.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 4:36 PM   #6

I have a (more than 3 year old) Fuji Finepix F601zoom with me all the time. It's in a little masculine version of a "female's hand-bag" that I keep with me always... that also contains my mobile, Pocket PC, my wallet, passport and other necessary papers (as I work / live internationally) and other "necessities" like lip-balm like now when it's below -10 outside, throat lollies, pen and paper, etc. (please don't laugh!!) :-)

So my Fuji p&s camera (as well as a spare battery and spare memory card) are with me all of the time (and next to my bed when I sleep... guess what I voted!!) It's clicked up tens of thousands of photos, many of them beautiful imho (unbiased opinion of course - lol!) :G

:| My new Canon Digital Rebel XT / 350D DSLR camera is of course a MUCH bigger, bulkierand heavier item, as well as much more of a serious camera tool and toy!!This camera accompanies me when I want to make more serious photos or am going to an event (e.g. a camp with the charity organisation I work for here in Romania). Also when I decide to go for a special walk in the mountains or another part of nature or visit a new town somewhere, then it also comes with me. This would usually be a few times (say 2 to 5 times) in an average week.... or of COURSE when I go to visit my beautiful financee!!

Anyway, yes I also believe I'm covered - my friends always rely on me to capture moments in digital detail - and many times share with them later. I try not to be too crazy with taking so many photos of everything... but it seems quite an addiction I've gotten into.... :-)

Best wishes all!

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:56 PM   #7

I shoot probably twice a week, 100 shots per session on average.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:25 AM   #8

when the weather is favourable my 7000 turns into a weekend warrior, usually stuff my lil camera bag with the mini tripod, a few filters, spare batteries, spare xd card, just in case i fill the 256mb one up. On the weekend trip away i tend to take more gear than i need, But i do take my laptop so i can clear the camera when required
Dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9

Interesting question...

I take my camera bag with me everywhere I go. (right now that runs to 18 lbs of my most useful gear... (I know useful is a relative term :roll) I am constantly annoying family and friends by suddenly stopping something I am doing (like driving down a busy highway) to grab a shot of this or that... or simply interrupting conversations with "just look at the light through those trees!" :roll::roll:According to my daughter, I live life through a lens. Sometimes she means it as a compliment. I am oblivious.

That being said, apart from a few quick snaps here and there, I usuall only get one dedicated session in per week.

When I'm shooting digital it is nothing to snap off 150-200 shots exploring every nuance of a subject - up, down, sideways... good light or bad light, whatever it takes to capture something a little different. Sometimes bad conditions force us to change our approach just that little bit that results in a magical shot.

When I'm shooting film, I am much more conservative... probably by a factor of 1/10.This isbecause I am mindful of my film counter and afraid to be caught short of film, because of the cost of film and processing, and because film does not provide the instant feedback/gratification of digital. On a film shoot, I usually try to take a few digital shots, both for reference puropses and to maybe catch a different slant on my subject.

When shooting medium format I am even more economy minded. I can't get the film processed locally and sending it away costs about $30 per roll. I usually take less than one MF shot per roll of 35mm film. It's a shame because the MF film deteriorates quickly if not stored in a cool place. (I think it's time to re-evaluate the way I use MF)

What are my results? I'd have to say my results are improving somewhat over time. Digitally, I probably get at least one or two shot per hundred that I'm pretty proud of. With film the returns are a little better because I take more time withcomposition and exposure.

Thanks for the interesting thread. I suppose if there's something I enjoy almost as much as taking pictures, it would betalking about taking pictures. :roll:

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote