Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:39 AM   #1
Default Cold weather capable

Need to replace our 4 Agfa E307 cameras that have taken over 10,000 pictures each. Cameras are used for testing of defrost systems on vehicles. I can find cameras that meet most of my requirements, but not 1 that meets all. I need a camera that:
can be operated in -10 F environment (for about an hour)
resolution must be 640 X 480 or greater
capacity must be 36 pictures or more
power must be able to be provided by an AC adapter (batteries don't like the cold)
auto off timer must be programmable, or be 4 minutes or more.

HELP! I am at a loss as what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:13 PM   #2

Plenty can do those with one exception, the cold.

Oly 730 I know can do all those but not sure about the cold. Perhaps wrapping it up in some insulation.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 2:16 PM   #3

If you're powering a cam from an external power supply and it's left on and not in sleep mode, then it will be consuming about 7 watts. Can't understand why you'd want 'auto timer off' on external power?? it actually helps to dissipate heat inside the camera at these temperatures.

In the confined space of the camera, it should keep itself warm when powered - 7 watts is a lot of heat!! Your biggest problem might be condensation on the lens and the lcd if if its surface temp is low. But that shouldn't stop the shot if the cam internals are warm.

So whilst the cam specs might not cover your low temp, they probably assume your cam is at that internal temp when you use it, and yes its the NiMh batts that give the probs. Probably not the case if you keep it powered with the lcd running on external power, or have left the cam powered in an insulated cooler box, before using it in the cold.

Try a jacket in the form of a modified case, with say a front and rear opening (most are foam lined) if you want a bit more insulation - BUT be careful not to over cook it!. Betacams work OK in the Arctic with insulated jackets!

Most cam owners want low battery drain, you can choose from most cams, even the the older more battery hungry models if you intend tethering to an external supply. The higher power demand of some older models will help keep the cam warmer.

If you can get the cam to work at minus 273 deg C you will get no noise on your pics!! Hope this helps: VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:09 PM   #4

From personal experience, I have operated my Olympus C-4000Z at temperatures ranging from -20C to -30C (-40C max limit). I do keep it in a camera pouch when not in use. It meets most of your requirements except for the auto-off timer.

The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote