Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1

New to the digital SLR field. Do most of you tie up your computer's memory with your photos, or do you use an external hard drive for photo storage and/or editing? Thanks for saving me a few ( I still make many!) mistakes that have been avoided by following your posts!
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2

I actually have my photos on multiple internal hard drives, and also use external hard drives for additional backup, sometimes copying entire partitions to one when I want to backup the OS and applications, too.

The same goes for backups of non-imaging related documents, data, etc. I try not to put all of my eggs in one basket for anything that's important to me.

I've even got a couple of hard disk drives with data at relatives homes, just to be even safer for some data that I consider to be irreplaceable.

But, you need to make sure you have hardware that's compatible with them. So, moving from one storage type to another periodically is a good idea.

For example, you won't find newer PC's that support some of my older MFM type hard disk drives. I've got one 5MB Seagate (in working condition) that even requires a custom ROM on a Western Digital Controler to work, even if you had the right type of controller for most MFM drives.

Drives can fail from time to time, too. I had one fail not too long ago (but it's contents were backed up on two other disk drives, so it wasn't a big deal).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:48 PM   #3

I had an external hard drive but it overheated & died ( a divco case with maxtor drive) It was the 2nd Maxtor to die on me so I now stick to seagate & western digital drives. It's worth paying the little bit extra for drives intendedfor high use (such as servers) than the cheaper desktop drives.

Heat is your main enemy so a fan blowing over the HD is a good idea too.

All my data is on a separate partition from my operating system & is also backed up on another computers hard drive. I don't use Windows so the threat of viruses doesn't worry me too much. hardware failure is a concern as in the case of my maxtor hard drive I've been stung twice - both times loosing data.

It's a good idea to back up often. An external hard drive purely as a back up is a good idea using it to mirror all your files once a week or so. DVD-RW discs are also good although it a good idea to check that data hasn't become corrupted in the writing process (a hard lesson I also learnt.
ixus_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:59 PM   #4

I also have no experience with one but recently was wondering about the possibility of using anexternal hard drive to install and use aneditor on?.....along with using it for storage of photos and music etc;

I have held off on PS and some otheritems due to not wanting to install on an already crowded laptop.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:23 PM   #5

I've got two external hardrives and a partition on another hardrive with all my pics. I also have dvd-rws with all important pics (family, prints I have sold, my stock library,) that I routinely update (about every two months or so) that I keep in a safe deposit box. I wasn't always so anal about backups until my former supervisor had a fire destroy most of her family pics, old recipes, etc...I realized all the time and memories I have accumulated over the years and realized how much I would lose if that happened to me.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:34 PM   #6

I have two internal drives and three external drives.

I buy my drives as internal drives, then put them in an enclosure and use them externally.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:38 PM   #7

I also use external hard drives, but not in an enclosure. I use this:

As most computers today now include a firewire port, this is very convenient and highly portable. They also sell a plate to cover the electronics on the back of the drive.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:18 AM   #8

As always, thank you for the advise and explanations. These forums make life a little easier for us newbies.
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:17 PM   #9

I ran out of room on my hard drive, and didnt feel like burning several hundred cd's to back it all up, so I now have an external hard drive.

I've lost data to failiure of floppy discs, cd-r's, and hard drives. At least once each. It sucks. BACK UP! Plus, thousands of huge digital pictures take up immense amounts of space and you will fill up everything you install in your computer.

Also, I highly recomend you DO NOT install programs on additional drives. This is from personal expieriance, nothing horrible will happen if you do but its a real PITA when you change things around or something goes wrong. Best to keep all programs on the main C drive and move data to auxilary drives.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:08 PM   #10

I have 3 external drives. The key is to use the Hard drive in a 5 1/2" enclosure. They usually have a fan. Mine have been running about 3 years now.
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote