Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:17 PM   #1
Default Minolta Dimage S404 or a Canon A70?

I'm trying to decide between 2 cameras. Do you recommend purchasing a Minolta Dimage S404 (4 megapixel) or a Canon A70 (3.2 megapixel)? The Minolta is $299 at Fry's and the Canon is $315 at Best Buy. Any suggestions/comments??

jllee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2003, 2:27 AM   #2

If you get A70 for $315, I would prefer that though Minolta is 4 MP.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 2:59 AM   #3

I just recieved my Minolta S414 yesterday. I was also concidering the Canon A70 but for about the same price I went for the 4MP, 4X Optical Zoom, and the optional Wireless Remote capabilities of the Minolta. I also concidered the G4, but too much for my budget. It's like $300 more.

I also got a 512CF SimpleTech for $129 with $50 rebate from pcconnection.com

So far I realy like my decision. The S414 is a fast camera with lots of Manual Options. It focus fast and powerup fast (about 4 sec.)It's pretty good in low light situations cocidering it doesn't have a focus assist light. The quality of the pics are excellent.
Got mine over at NewEgg.com for $355 with free shipping.

The pluses of the A70 are: the optional Under Water Case but the down side it cost aobut $200 extra, has a 640X480 Video, Auto Focus Assist Light.

Regaurdless of which you get, I would suggest to search for a vendor from resellerratings.com with at least 250 or more reviews and at least an 8 or more rating. NewEgg.com has a 9.72 rating with 3475 reviews! Goodluck in with your decision.
alzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:53 PM   #4

Past some problems I seem with others to own the S404, how is the focusing in low light? I heard that the S404 was pretty bad in low light situations. Also, do you still need to use the Dimage Viewer to get the most out of the camera?
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote