Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:32 PM   #1

I'm using Zoombrowser EX v4.6. When I rotate an image, all my exif data is erased. I'm looking for another option besides saving an unrotated version. Does anyone know either a fix for this problem? Would an updated version still have this issue?

If not, can anyone recommend a freeware program that will serve the same function as Zoombrowser without zapping my shooting info? Thanks!

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:29 PM   #2

The safest method is to perform all your operations, including rotating, on a copy rather than your original.

Newer version of image editing and viewing software are less likely to destroy EXIF headers than the older versions. It is entirely possible that a newer version of ZoomBrowser will keep your EXIF headers intact.

For simple rotations I don't follow my own advice. At one time, I used NikonView 2 to rotate my images - and clobbered the EXIF headers of the images I rotated. Although I haven't used NikonView since then and have long since removed NikonView from my computer, I understand that the newer versions treat the EXIF headers with more respect. I sometimes use the freeware viewer Irfanview to rotate my original images. If I have a lot of rotations to do, I use the shareware product Thumber instead.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:46 PM   #3

It's just amazing how such programming can get through...
What I've read EXIF data is entirely separate from pixel data and shouldn't be hard to separate that from image and then put it back there when saving file.

You can use Exifer to backup EXIF+makernotes and return those to image file.

E.T is offline   Reply With Quote