Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:32 AM   #1

Hi all,

I spent the last 2 weeks building a digital camera glossary for the users of my website.
I'm not a professional photographer, nor am I a native speaker, which is why I would really really appreciate your comments.
Specifically I'm wondering whether I have explained some terms incorrectly and/or whether I managed to explain them well enough.

The glossary is located at:
[url removed by moderator]

Thank you for your comments!

chemoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:37 AM   #2

This is from the very first entry on the first page. I'm sure you didn't mean to say that. Your glossary obviously needs some proofreading before announcing it to everyone.

"For example, a digital camera with a focal length of 9mm may have the same field of view as a 35mm camera with a 35mm focal length. The digital camera's focal length is therefore 300mm, 35 equivalent."

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:16 AM   #3

I have to admit that I haven't looked at your glossary. I realize it's a bit rude to comment on something that I haven't read... but I just wanted to mention this.

I'm all for you creating a glossary. It's useful for yourself (writing something down helps you really learn something in a way that is different than just thinking about it) and it could help others.

But there is a really, really good glossary on the web already. If you haven't seen it, it is here:

Technically, all of it is copywrited by dpreview, so you can't just steal from it. But you can validate your facts against it.

If you are going to post a glossary for general consumption then I, personally, wouldn't use it until it was at least as good as this one.

Just a friendly note. I hope you take it in the spirit it was intended.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:53 AM   #4

Your website is commercial, complete with advertising. Therefore, I've removed the link from your post.

If you read the confirmation e-mail you receieved and agreed to when joining the forums, commercial posts are not allowed in our forums.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:55 AM   #5

You'll also find a digicam glossary here too

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

Hey, I see adverts! You shouldn't be linking to that site. Didn't you read the rules when you were writing them?
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote