Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:35 AM   #1

My friend's Sony DSC-H1 uses 72 Pixels per inch for its images. My Nikon Coolpix 5400 uses 300 pixels per inch. Why this apparent discrepancy? This is why a 5 MegPixel image shot using the DSC-H1 shows a print size of 36x27 inches in Adobe Photoshop, and a same 5 MP image from Coolpix 5400 shows a print size of 8.5x6.5 inches. Am i missing out?
aninda_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:51 AM   #2

There is a document size embedded in most image file types. With images from a digital camera that document size and the resultant PPI are totally meaningless. They had to put something because there is a requirement in the file. Most go with the old Mac screen resolution of 72 PPI, my old Olympus used 150 PPI and evidently that particular Nikon uses 300.

If you had a giant printer and pushed "Print" with no initial requirement for size or ratio, the prints would come out the sizes listed. Most people don't do that of course. PPI is only significant once you have chosen a document size. Before that the image is simply 2560 X 1920 pixels or whatever.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote