Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Default Question for Steve, why no AF assist beam on Oly C-7x0's

Steve, have you ever asked (or maybe figured out on your own) why Olympus doesn't put an autofocus assist beam on their C-7x0 cameras? I realize you only review the cameras as they come, but has this question ever crossed your mind, when many other cameras including cheaper Canons have it?

Just curious.

Personally, I think they want you to buy the megabucks FL-40 external flash with the AF beam, but looking at pics of the new FL-20 it doesn't seem to have an AF beam either.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 7:41 AM   #2

Open to opinions from anyone else of course.

Just gets me mad since Oly cameras like the C-5050 have the autofocus assist beam, and the predecessor of the C-700 the C-2100UZ also had a focus assist beam. Just one more reason (IMO as a C-700 owner) that the C-7x0 series are toys and not serious cameras.

Heck, it wasn't until the 740 and 750 (only being released now and in May) that the camera had two strap points.

Just ranting at Olympus again.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:03 AM   #3

I rant at all of the makers for not adding AF-assist. Right now all Canon and all Sony cameras have them. It doesn't cost that much and it makes the camera so much more useable. I've been hounding Nikon and others to add this feature every chance I get.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote