Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1

Can anybody recommend a simple yet effective photo editing software that I can download from the internet. Something that will not compress my pictures.Something that comes with noise editing capabilities would be great. Thanks
arbie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2

You could try Picassa from google not sure about it's noise reductiob capabilities.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3

Picasa does not have noise editing capabilities. Also, the compression of the photos depends on the file type, not the editor. If you are editing jpegs, every time you save it, it will be recompressed. Others, like tiff are not so they are better to work with if you plan on doing multiple edits.

Picasa is good for whole image edits such as color and contrast on the quick. You can not select portions of the image, or add new colors, etc.

Paint.net is free as well, and is a fairly competant editor with many features of photoshop such as clone stamp.

Gimp is free, fully featured and harder to use but very comparable to Photoshop.

you can get free versions of Neat Image or Noiseaware for noise reduction. They are great stand alone products. I use Noise Ninja plugin for Photoshop, which is not free but more convientant due to being incorporated into photoshop. The others have plugins as well, they are also not free.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:11 PM   #4

There is an inverse relationship between "simple" and "effective". No matter how good the interface, the more capability the program has the greater the complexity and learning curve.

Gimp is a full featured free image editor but it is a bear to learn to use. Picasa is a simple viewer and organizer but unfortunately doesn't come close to being an image editor.

There is a free older version of Paint Shop Pro available. It has an easier interface than Photoshop and there are many tutorials for doing specific things. One advantage of learning PSP is that if your interest increases you can transition easily to newer versions. You can do most things in PSP as well as Photoshop. He says it may be gone soon, so I would grab it with the patch: http://www.com-puterworks.com/Free_Downloads.htm

You might also try Serif PhotoPlus 6. It is an older version they are offering free. It is a more simple program than PSP but it is a real image editor with layers, masks, cloning etc. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

As VAtechtigger pointed out your best free noise reduction option is the freeware version of Neat Image or Noise Ninja. I also use a plug-in version but have tried the free version of Neat Image and it works well. I'm not familiar with the free Noise Ninja version, but with Neat Image the demo doesn't expire and is considered freeware for non-commercial use.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5

I would suggest you try out irfanview from:

It offers a lot of functionaly and is completely free.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:59 PM   #6

Thanks Guys! I'm gong to check out all your recommendations and choose the best one that works for me. I'm grateful for all the suggestions.
arbie3 is offline   Reply With Quote