Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:45 PM   #1

OK, more and more this lately I am being called out the last minute to do a "Quick"! portrait.

My standard kit consists of a Canon 20D and a 550 Flash.

I always seem to end up with a shadow between the ears and shoulder, I use a flash defuser which does soften the shadow, but I want to shoot confidently without having to current it later. Which is always a hard job and I am never 100% happy with the results.

So I am looking for advise on how to shoot, tips on what I doing wrong and ideally a tutorial on what I should be considering before shutting the shutter.

Thanks in advance
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:47 AM   #2

I've got a couple of suggestions but they may not be as detailed as you'd like.

1. You can get rid of some of the shadows by using a single light source directly behind you and high over your head (8 - 10 feet). An example of this that I've used is shooting a portraits for a 6th grade dance. It was years ago with film and a sunpak flash. I usedthe flash on a light stand right behind me at around 9 feet and used a white umbrella to bounce the light into. This causes the shadow from the flash to be far less noticeable. (The background was a dark green with items there like baloons, gift boxes etc...)

2. You can get a second flash unit and use it as a slave to fill in the shadow from
the primary flash. I don't know if the 550 allows you to do this. I know the 580 does.

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote