Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2003, 5:09 PM   #1
Default simple advice

I could use some advice. I'm looking to buy my first digital camera and the more I research the more conflicting info I get.
My needs are fairly simple. I'm not a techno-phobe, but close.
I want to keep things as simple as possible without sacrificing quality. Most of the shots will be outdoors and close ups of plants and bugs, so excellent color is a must. I'll also be using it for regular vacation/people photos. A panoramic option would be nice. I don't want to have to mess with a bunch of add-ons or pushing buttons after every shot. I want to keep it between $250 and $350. Any suggestions?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:08 PM   #2

Try the canon a70. It's point and shoot, but you if you ever have the desire, you can do almost full manual. It has a decent macro mode plus a panorama stitch assist mode and will set you back $350
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:32 AM   #3

People here have mentioned the Nikon Coolpix line of cameras as having good macro modes. They are also fairly easy to use. (It should be noted that I don't have one, so others should correct me if they think it isn't easy to use!)

Another thing you should do is go to a store and hold the cameras. Make sure they fit your hand and feel comfortable. Check out the button placement, does it make sense? Is the LCD sharp enough for you. Many of the larger electronics stores put out cameras for you to handle (many with batteries and flash cards in them... so you can actually take a picture or two!) I normally check out CompUSA or Circuit City.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:04 PM   #4
Default Aardvark 50

Do you have an A70? If so, how do you like it?

I have one, and while I love so much about it, I cannot get the sharp pictures that I was hoping for.

What is your experience?
Matsquimac is offline   Reply With Quote