Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:55 PM   #1

Are there any guides on how to SAFELY disassemble a digital with a built-in flash? I was taking my Nikon coolpix 995 apart and got zapped when I removed the housing of the flash.
995er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2

Any fool can strip something down, but it takes a wiseman to put it together again.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:29 AM   #3

The high voltage capacitors for flash usnits can hold a charge for quite some time.

As to the rest of the camera - I would not recommend disassembly outside a clean room. Once the sensor is open to the environment, it is liable to collect dust and dirt that you will not notice until you have put it all back together again. If it is broken and you just want to see what is inside, though, once that flash capacitor is discharged, there should be nothing dangerous in the camera. Don't expect to be able to repair it, though.

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:40 AM   #4

995er wrote:
and got zapped
You are not lucky:blah:, the only part that can remain charged at high voltage is that part :?

I think that you should find something on the net. In general, before disassembling, take a photo with flash, and turn off right away (to stop the capacitif charge cycle), then after oppening the camera, drain that capacitor with a resistor (do not ZAP the terminals with a screwdriver)

another precaution is about static discharge (that can damage electronic parts, not for your safety)

I disassembled my 950 more than once, with no particular incident.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for info. I have no need to disassemble the whole camera (I think)....The problem is the built-in flash that seems to barely "flicker" when used instead of lighting up a dark room like it used to.
995er is offline   Reply With Quote