Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Default AC Adapter for Canon A70

This has been asked before but I don't think it ever got a answer, I want to buy a AC adapter for my A70, & Canon parts r 2 expensive (go figure) the one I am interested in, has the closest voltage setting of 5 volts & the camera wants 4.3 volts. The adapter has a 2100ma output, so there is no problem there. Any ideas????
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:22 PM   #2

Many have asked (not about this specific camera, but generally) if the can use an adapter they can buy at RadioShack, or any of the multi-voltage uiniversal adapters out there. Problem is those adapters just don't have the current required although the voltage may match. Most of those universal supplies are 300mA, 500mA, 800mA...2100mA is a lot more than the majority of the universal adaptors can supply. You can't just look at voltage, you have to look at the current too. If your universal adaptor can't supply the current required, your supply will overheat, and if it doesn't die quickly your voltage will drop which will put a strain on your camera's circuit...then you may get a spike in voltage which may blow your camera.

Second, cheaper adapters aren't regulated...if you measure one of them without a load you will find that the output voltage is much higher than the voltage setting, until you put a load on it. I tested mine for a set voltage and without a load I measured 63% higher. A regulated supply will be the specific voltage with or without a load...and if a cheap supply can go above the specific voltage it can go below it too (either is not good for the camera).

Lastly, those universal adaptors can have the polarity reversed...if you make a mistake and get it backwards, you will blow your camera for sure (if your camera's manufacturer didn't put in any polarity protection into the camera). You may be using it and then one day temporarily use it for another device which has the opposite polarity, and then forget to switch it back for the camera and BOOM...your camera is dead. Or you may have someone who wants to play a prank and change the polarity.

In other words, your universal adaptor just isn't up to the task. Do you want to risk all the money you spent on your camera with a cheap universal adaptor?

You may want to ask in the Canon forum if they have any recommendations for third party supplies (some better camera stores do have better third party supplies).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:59 PM   #3

I have an A70 and I use the DigiPower Solutions model#ACD-RC power adapter, 100-240v input and 5v-1600ma output. About $24.00. I called DigiPower directly with my camera model number and this is what they say to use. You can call them just to reconfirm this info. Their number is on the website at mizco.com (Mizco International). The DigiPower is available at all camera retailers or try Thomas Distributing online. Thomas is a great resource for batteries, chargers and adapter power. Hope this helps.
Denman76 is offline   Reply With Quote