Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2003, 2:42 PM   #11

My impression is that to delete an image on any digicam you have to go through several layers/steps. It isn't going to happen accidentally unless you are trying to delete an image and get the wrong one. So to avoid accidental deletion, simply don't delete any of them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 9:15 PM   #12

I thought "locking" my pictures in the camera was a good idea...until the first time I downloaded them and found that they were therefore "read only" files and I couldn't edit them (even rotate them) without changing them from "read only" first...

Then when I wanted to delete them from the media card I had to unlock each photo individually...

And as Bill said, it would be pretty hard to accidently delete a picture...so I don't lock them...I suppose if I had a once-in-a-lifetime shot I might consider locking it until I had a chance to download it.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 6:24 AM   #13

Just to follow up on a couple of things.

The CP4500 is quite small but that in my mind is no bad thing as -

1) You can keep it in an inside pocket on a cold day.
2) If you come to use it for Digiscoping you'll appreciate it for its lightness after lugging scope, tripod etc. Its low weight also puts less strain on the camera to adaptor thread.

Deleting images. I agree with Bill, it's best not to delete in the field. But if you have to the CP4500 will allow you to protect the ireplacable.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 6:26 PM   #14

Originally Posted by BillDrew
In general, it isn't a good idea to delete photos as you shoot. Trying to decide which one to delete while squinting at a little LCD is difficult and distracting while you are shooting. Get a lot of memory so you can wait to decide while looking at your photos on a large screen.
Just to add on to Bill's post, there's a couple of other reasons you may not want to delete the pictures until you view them on your computer:
1. If you are taking pictures in sequence and delete a picture taken earlier, the next photo will replace the first photo deleted, which may not be what you intended (for example, the events of an entire day at your church's day camp).
2. Even if it's very easy to delete pics on the fly, it takes considerably more power consumption to switch to review mode, select, view, delete the pic, and return your camera to the mode required to take more pictures.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:56 AM   #15

Thanks, everyone. I haven't bought my next digicam yet, but the CP 4500 seems to be the popular recommendation here on the forum. Oddly enough, I keep coming back to it when some other camera (Canon G3, for instance) begs my consideration. Hmmm...

P. S. Speaking of owls, how's the CP 4500 in low-light/dead-of-night situations?
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:10 AM   #16

It still works in low light but the LCD refresh becomes very sluggish between shots. My main experience in this was photographing Badgers in dusk light and I got away with it.

In terms of pitch dark, if the autofocus is operating it needs something to focus on. The moon, or some other highlight.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote