Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

I posted a nearly identical post in the Casio forum, but since my question is quite general, I guess I could post it here as well. So... Today I received the Casio QV-R52 camera I ordered at the Comet UK website (brand new, boxed, etc.).

Unfortunately, I think the camera is faulty - the photographs taken are all distorted, grainy and horizontal lines appear in every single one of them (please see the link below). I've tried fiddling with all possible settings imaginable (even formatting the SD card and resetting the camera), but to no avail - the camera just doesn't work as it should!

Also, the LCD screen behaves strangely when zooming in/out in "PLAY" mode (it flashes and horizontal lines are even more apparent) but I think this is just because of the photo quality (i.e. lack of it). It does work fine in the REC mode though.

Well, since I am new to the digital photography, I just wanted to hear what more experienced photographers think about this problem. I suspect there is a problem with the lens or CCD sensor (due to rough shipping??) but since I am a digital newbie, it's really just plain speculation! Any thoughts on what might be wrong OR what I am doing wrong?

Andy K

(first 4 pics are fine quality, highest res; last two are normal quality, highest res). And yes, ALL photos were that bad, only occasionaly did I manage to take a bit less horrible one - e.g. the first one that I just added to the album!!!
AndyKavalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:06 PM   #2

It's defective, I'd return it.

It's got a component problem of some type.

You could try the basic stuff like making sure the battery is fully charged, resetting everything back to factory defaults, etc.

But, it looks pretty hopeless to me (something more than a setting problem going on). If it were mine, I'd see if the vendor could swap it out.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:21 PM   #3

I think I did everything I could (reset, new batteries, format, reformat, rereformat,...- you get the point :-))

I'll return it straight away and try to get another!

Thanks for your comments, now Iam at least certain there is something wrong!!
AndyKavalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:35 PM   #4

Likely you have a defective camera. One thing worth trying is to take the batteries out until the camera loses track of the date/time. That should "reboot" it to factory defaults when turned back on. Might not work, but it is worth trying - since you will/should send it back without the batteries installed, that is the condition the repair shop will see it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote